Xerox DC242 or DC250?

easiprint

Hi

I have just purchased a reconditioned Xerox Docucolor from my Xerox dealer. I have been a customer of theirs for a while as we also have a DC12 from them. The machine I agreed to purchase was a reconditioned DC242 with professional finisher. The machine was delivered last week and they have delivered a DC250 with professional finisher. When I questioned them, they told me they have given me a free upgrade due to some problems we had with them a while ago. My question is, is a DC250 actually an upgrade from a DC242, or is it an older machine and therefore not actually an upgrade? I have to say, I am quite impressed with the DC250 so far, but I wanted others opinions on which is the better machine.

Many thanks

Simon

Hi

I have just purchased a reconditioned Xerox Docucolor from my Xerox dealer. I have been a customer of theirs for a while as we also have a DC12 from them. The machine I agreed to purchase was a reconditioned DC242 with professional finisher. The machine was delivered last week and they have delivered a DC250 with professional finisher. When I questioned them, they told me they have given me a free upgrade due to some problems we had with them a while ago. My question is, is a DC250 actually an upgrade from a DC242, or is it an older machine and therefore not actually an upgrade? I have to say, I am quite impressed with the DC250 so far, but I wanted others opinions on which is the better machine.

Many thanks

Simon

DC250 is definately an older machine. Pretty much identical, but Xerox seem to have some very, very short life cycles on these boxes that cross over between office to light production. X33 (a Xerox bod) was on this forum some while ago warning that DC250s were no longer going to be supported in terms of new software development, i.e. drivers for Windows 7.

It sounds like BS to me (your explanation from your reseller, not the info from X33), if the reseller had given you a 260 instead of a 242, that would be the same "generation" machine.

Xerox site says it all really.

"The DocuColor 240/250 is no longer sold as new. You might like to consider the replacement product.
> see DocuColorâ„¢ 242/252/260"

Maybe the upgrade was the finisher? I mean really, this is crap, you buy a mustang they deliver a pinto and they expect you to be greatfull because it has a tow ball.

Last edited:
The only "upgrade" is the speed. This is an older machine with older software. Tell them you want your 242 that you paid for.

Thanks for your replies. Looks like I need a 'chat' with my sales rep. Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know, assuming that counters, condition, etc were all similar, would a DC250 be worth less than a DC242? ie - looks like they have given me an older generation machine, but have they also ripped me off in the money I have paid them?

Hi there,

Xerox first came out with the 240/250 and then the 242/252/260. The main differences between the DocuColor 242 and 250 are:

The DocuColor 242 has the ability to add a Light Production Finisher that allows you to do inline z and c-folding. Additional differences are within the printer's user interface. You can promote/delete jobs there, can copy an ID card and print both sides of the card on the same side of paper, and you have bates stamping for legal documents.

The 250 is faster, but you lose the opportunity to upgrade to the Light Production Finisher (if you ever need it) and lose some flexbility in the User Interface.

The 250 IS an older machine than the 242. If you don't need the extra folding or the ID/Bates Stamping options at the UI... then the difference in features doesn't matter as much... I would have questions around service support and software. I am checking on your pricing question right now.

Last edited:
easiprint-- After talking to others, this is what I learned:
Since the 250 is older, theoretically it will be Stop Serviced sooner. Since the 242 is part of a current platform, the security and software updates would be more regular. Also, in regards to price... Assuming that the mileage is the same on both, they'd assume the 250 would cost more since it is a faster machine (faster generally is more money), so I don't think you were ripped off from that perspective.

Many thanks lkl7255. Very helpful. I am on a service contract which the dealer has guaranteed for 3 years, so I am not too concerned about that. I just had alarm bells ringing when someone told me the 250 was an old machine. It has been full reconditioned and only done 50,000 prints, and I don't think I need the extra functions you mentioned. Thanks again

hi!

I'm new here, my name is Andres and I'm from Spain, I have been reading
articles and I just bought the DC 250(second hand). The machine prints very well and I
has no problem with the paper or anything.

The prblem I have now are the toner and drum cartridges. "You in the UK all of you have a maintenance contract? I do not know whether to pay maintenance or buy ink by other means.
Because here in Spain many people have no maintenace included.

Sorry for my english, is very baad!!!

Regards!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back