Xerox DocuColor 260 vs Konica C6501 PROx

mac_man_luke

Hello all

We are currently looking at getting a new digital printer.

Currently we have a Xerox ApeosPort C5540 I.
We are quite happy with the image quailty, toner finish etc
but its got to the stage where the bypass tray is limiting and a rip would speed up our workflow.

We are looking at used machines from Konica and Xerox
(the used machines to fit our budget, current print volume does not yet justify the extra cost of a new machine)

The Xerox is:
DocuColor 260 with:
• High Capacity Feeder
• Professional Finisher
• Creo Rip

The Konica is:
C6501 PROx with:
• Dual High Capacity Feeders
• Booklet maker finisher
• Creo Rip

The Konica is slightly dearer but i believe it is a more capable machine
eg will duplex heavier stock, twin trays, slightly faster?, newer engine technology?
But slight unknowns of service etc (but have heard good things), image quality over time etc

Xerox appears to be a safer but maybe not the best choice?
eg very similar engine to current machine will give similar image results
and we know the service from xerox is good
But the paper feed is less robust and we mostly print heavy stocks (eg mostly 300gsm)

any suggestions?

thanks
Luke

What kind of volume do you currently have and what volume do you anticipate? I'm sure as you know, it's not money that pays for these machines, it's volume. The 6501, obviously a more capable machine, is going to need more volume to keep it happy and make the lease payment. I actually talked to an honest salesman who said that machine would eat me alive (at my volume). I run an X252 with an average of roughly 10,000 clicks a month and half of that is 300gsm, a lot of 12pt C1S cover, 100lb coated cover, 120lb uncoated cover and a little 100lb linen cover. The other half is 100lb coated text. Granted, it can't duplex over 65lb uncoated cover, but it's all my volume can pay for.

Volume to start with will be around 5000 per month but we are at a point to grow we need better machine.

The used machines are quite affordable and the difference between the konica and xerox are only a few hundred a month

The price we can get the 6501 for is not much more than the best deal they have on a 5501
and in 4 years (lease term) we will need the capacity (well sooner)

We currently have a large paper weight otherwise known as a dc260 which we no longer use (only has a few thousand clicks and is basically brand new). We also have a km5501 which is a fantastic little machine. The km has it's issues (as does every machine) but it is in different league the xerox. For us photo output quality is of huge importance and the xerox is pants. All of the rips for the 260/250/252 series are very limited in terms of what screen ruling you can use. The rips for the km allow much better screening and thus resolve much more detail in your pictures.... plus the km will handle textured stocks that the xerox wouldn't stand a chance with.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back