Xerox Drums Revisited

tngcas

Is anyone else still experiencing Xerox Drum Issues? We're going on Month 4 of this drum problem.

Xerox claimed to have fixed the issue with our printer/drums last month but we're still only getting 20 to 30% life out of our drums. To make matters worse our shop is at a complete standstill right now because Xerox cannot get us any drums. We're literally having to call customers and ask to delay jobs or refuse jobs because we don't have the drums to produce acceptable quality work.

They don't have an eta on when they can get us drums - we've been in a holding pattern since last Thursday with no eta or updates on drum availability. I don't even know what our legal rights are at this point in the conversation.

My team is having the same problem and the new drums that we received are becoming unusable at 10% to 40% usage. The dealer was able to expedite some drums after a lot of hassle. The lack of quality control and lack of communication is ridiculous.

I'm not on contract so I buy all my drums, I have a drum in the yellow spot that just refuses to die that is at about 180% life and I refuse to swap it out until it becomes unacceptable. Other drums I am losing at anywhere between 20-50% where they start marking the print.

Yeh same here in Ireland, been a busy month and I'm changing them constantly.

Although supply hasn't been an issue ...... he's says nervously waiting on expected delivery today!

I've been without Versant 80 drums for about 3 weeks now. Turning away and/or farming work out. My Xerox salesman said he was able to get some shipped yesterday, after having a meeting with others that can expedite differently than the 1-800 supplies folks can.

Yeh same here in Ireland, been a busy month and I'm changing them constantly.

Although supply hasn't been an issue ...... he's says nervously waiting on expected delivery today!

I spoke too soon, order still hasn't been delivered. One the phone they tell me they are experiencing delays in certain items, I'd bet money it's drums.

I ran a big booklet (17k clicks) this week and it ate through the drums, I've gotten through 10 and I'm only 3/4 through.
All on 130gsm gloss, fairly ate the toner too.
Has me thinking now that I really can't take on big runs in house anymore, will have to outsource. It's now crippled my workflow and other jobs are suffering.

We were shut down for two months. Xerox just don't seem to understand this is people's livelihoods.

We run a C60 and changed drums and lost colour depth. I proved to Xerox it was a problem with the drums by putting in the old drums and producing perfect colour. We have a control file we can refer back to, and photographed the results.

Xerox replaced the drums, again, replaced the developer tanks and only when I showed the tech engineer the control files did he recognise the problem:
Apparently, most drums are refurbished or recyled, so he ordered new drums that came from Holland and the result is perfect.

I've now lost the printing contract for which I bought the machine in the first place, the dealer, Advanced Business Equipment, Middlesex, UK doesn't seem concerned although technically, my contract is with them so they would be in the firing line for any legal action. I wonder how may dealers Xerox would have when it becomes apparent they don't stand behind them?

Moral of the tale: Don't ever buy Xerox again

I know it's absolutely ridiculous. I really don't go mad over minor problems in supply but this is over a year which is just unacceptable for such a big company to continue on in such a manor. I'm wondering how big a bargaining chip this could be when upgrading my machine.

I may have been wrong on mine as they just arrived in this morning. I actually placed a second order the day after the first and that's also arrived.
I'll be running the machine most of today so I'll be placing another order later this afternoon.

Glad you're sorted.

The other major mistake we made was that we paid cash for the machine rather than put it on a lease.

Had we leased it, we could have just stopped the payments and let the leasing company deal with Xerox. They would have more clout.

This isn't really my line as we're Wide Format Textile printers and the Xerox was just providing an add-on product but I feel for anyone who thought dealing with Xerox meant they could rely on them for their main income.

We paid outright too. Will defo go lease next time.

Actually looking at my order they seem to have delivered all my drums but only half the toner I asked for so maybe our delays here are toner related.
Equally leaves me uneasy as I know how fast this machine can get through toner and I have a really heavy coverage job up later.

Bah! Shouldn't have said anything my massively overlife yellow drum finally but the dust. I am thinking of donating it to a museum as it must be the only one in recent history to go well beyond life!. Just hope the new one I put in lasts at least its rated life.

Glad you're sorted.

The other major mistake we made was that we paid cash for the machine rather than put it on a lease.

Had we leased it, we could have just stopped the payments and let the leasing company deal with Xerox. They would have more clout.

This isn't really my line as we're Wide Format Textile printers and the Xerox was just providing an add-on product but I feel for anyone who thought dealing with Xerox meant they could rely on them for their main income.
Actually this is not true. The leases have clauses in them that says maintenance issues are not their problem and you are still obligated to make the lease payments. They know that maintenance companies have issues and it's your obligation to have the machine serviced by a reputable company (Xerox or a 3rd party servicing company).

I talked to a guy back east (partsdrop)? who suggested taking the small rubber roller off and washing it with plain water. Replace after drying it. We just have not had the time to try this. Our drums last 10 to 15 %. Now our tech are rebuilding the fusers. The fuser they just put in will not fuse on 100lb cover gloss or 14pt c1s.
I am looking at getting one from Alibaba and deducting it from our bill. On top of the paper shortages.... errr

I talked to a guy back east (partsdrop)? who suggested taking the small rubber roller off and washing it with plain water. Replace after drying it. We just have not had the time to try this. Our drums last 10 to 15 %. Now our tech are rebuilding the fusers. The fuser they just put in will not fuse on 100lb cover gloss or 14pt c1s.
I am looking at getting one from Alibaba and deducting it from our bill. On top of the paper shortages.... errr
The black roller is the charge roller, and usually its a micro damage on the drum itself which causes the charge roller to go bad. Replacing those have not helped (I have tried this). The rebuild kits may last a bit longer but they give image quality issues with the exception of placing it in black. I would be careful about buying rebuild kits. Xerox may not cover that expense for you if you are under contract. Good luck!

Xerox may not cover that expense for you if you are under contract. Good luck!
I am looking at getting one from Alibaba and deducting it from our bill.

I was curious if anyone has had success with this? With so many of us dealing with our vendors having backordered toner or other components, has anyone found another source and then billed back their vendor? It seems like that could easily be abused so they don't accept it. On the other hand, it's extremely frustrating when your vendor doesn't have toner and you can't deliver jobs, lose customers, etc. We are about to run out of black toner for our 6136's and no idea when KM will be able to deliver more. I'd also imagine if you're putting toner or other components in your machine from another source, it could void your service contract/warranty.

I was curious if anyone has had success with this? With so many of us dealing with our vendors having backordered toner or other components, has anyone found another source and then billed back their vendor? It seems like that could easily be abused so they don't accept it. On the other hand, it's extremely frustrating when your vendor doesn't have toner and you can't deliver jobs, lose customers, etc. We are about to run out of black toner for our 6136's and no idea when KM will be able to deliver more. I'd also imagine if you're putting toner or other components in your machine from another source, it could void your service contract/warranty.
Ricoh sales told me that they are getting a lot of new machine orders and lease buyouts from KM customers.

alibaba lists toner for the KM 6136 as being available. Just a Printer on youtube has been buying KM toner from them and someplace on Europe.

I'm actually happy to have logged in here after a long absence to see this issue. We have a Xerox V180 and had the absolute worst time with drums late last year. Brand new drums out of the box were giving us crazy quality issues, usually the same particular one (looked like a burn mark or something running down the length of the image area, sometimes in random places). It used to be absolute murder to get drums from them anyway because the people there don't realize that a print shop with higher volume will go through drums more quickly than an office. We also were having to delay, cancel, or refuse jobs. So far this month I have only had that issue once but our volume has not been very high just yet. January is always really slow for us.

I wonder if other machines have this issue as well? We are seriously considering switching away from Xerox because of this and other issues related to communication and customer service.

- Lantz

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back