Xerox Versant 180 Mystery

Manassasralph

Ok, for all you V180 owners.

I am printing a job, single sided, 20# cotton writing stock. Pulling from paper tray 1, stacking on top output tray.

If I finish FACE DOWN, I get a dog ear on the leading edge. If I finish FACE UP, no dog ear, runs perfect!

Any idea's? (Yes, I ran the job face up. But would like to know why there is a difference)

My first thought is that there is some small scrap of paper in the path that is catching a corner of your sheet. Sometimes a scrap or tiny wad can be in just the right place to avoid sensors, but it can still mess things up with certain types of paper. Some of the 20% cotton stock is a little softer than normal copy paper and that may be why this affects just this stock. Try pushing a longer, wide, stiff sheet of paper slowly through the path backwards from the output tray and see if that helps. Wiggle it around a bit while you push it through. It might knock any obstruction out or at least loosen it so it can come out with another print job.

The model brochure usually has a diagram showing the paper path. This might help you track down the problem.

Face down requires it to run through the entire machine (as if it were double-sided) so something on the paper path for the second side is dog-earring them.

Probably something is in the duplicator. It's a deep pocket of sorts and I've seen all sort of issues including excess toner being built up in there any rubbing off on to the edges of sheets.

Common problem regardless of make or model. As noted by others, the issue is in the duplex area. I usually run 20 sheets 12x18 of the heaviest stock the machine can duplex to clear the path. Sometimes a little chunk of paper will ride out with the sheet. Sometimes you will see little chunks of toner. Sometimes you will see nothing, but it is resolved. If that doesn't work then there is something else happening. I had a loose guide once. It would "clear" but then later return. The heavy paper would push the guide up and clear the path, but it would soon fall down again.

I have a versant 80 this has has happened to me before. This first thing you need to understand is how a sheet of paper is turned over when printed 1 side only as either face up or face down. First pic shows you which door you need to open and the 2nd pic shows you the door for the duplexer. Have a look if there is any loose paper in there.

Attachments

• IMG_3429.JPG
    IMG_3429.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3430.JPG
    IMG_3430.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 187
I have a versant 80 this has has happened to me before. This first thing you need to understand is how a sheet of paper is turned over when printed 1 side only as either face up or face down. First pic shows you which door you need to open and the 2nd pic shows you the door for the duplexer. Have a look if there is any loose paper in there.
Thanks for the pictures. I will examine to see if anything is stuck in there.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back