Xerox Versant 80 Problem with vertical line on all colours!!!

sidney - which is the lead edge of your paper in your photos? I am curious if the defect is happening in the paper feed (process) direction or across the width of the sheet

This is just the strangest thread I've ever read. (hey, that rhymes)!

We don't have a V80/V180, but we do have (2) V2100's and, we've never had the issue that you describe.

I've been lead to believe that the two models are the same engine & paper path, just that the 80's are slower. I could be wrong, I may have been misled about that.

In any event, if Xerox, or, any other vendor, for that matter, sold me a machine with the quality issues that you show here, and, not only could they not fix it, but told me that it is a known un-fixable defect, that you just have to live with, here would be my reply:

"I'll tell you what, I'll do you a big favor. I'll give you 10-days to pull this machine and replace it with one of your models that does NOT have this defect, at no additional charge to me, before I turn this over to my Attorney and let him handle it with you. The clock is ticking......."

We don't have a V80/V180, but we do have (2) V2100's and, we've never had the issue that you describe.

I've been lead to believe that the two models are the same engine & paper path, just that the 80's are slower. I could be wrong, I may have been misled about that.

In any event, if Xerox, or, any other vendor, for that matter, sold me a machine with the quality issues that you show here, and, not only could they not fix it, but told me that it is a known un-fixable defect, that you just have to live with, here would be my reply:

"I'll tell you what, I'll do you a big favor. I'll give you 10-days to pull this machine and replace it with one of your models that does NOT have this defect, at no additional charge to me, before I turn this over to my Attorney and let him handle it with you. The clock is ticking......."

I thought that as well. I was told the V2100 was just bigger in that area but otherwise basically the same for the print engine. That machine would be boxed up and sent back to Xerox the moment they said it was an unfixable defect of that model.

We have a 2100 and the shop a couple blocks over put in a 180. This is not normal for either.

The company who printed the sheets for me were one of the first in the country to get a Versant 2100 and also had this problem. Xerox used theirs as a test machine and any problems they had were logged and new components were made and applied as modifications to all other 2100's, that's why you may not see this on yours but my engineer told me that without the modifications, you would have also seen the lines on the 2100.

What I don't get is that the Versant 80 came out AFTER the 2100, so after modifying the 2100, why is this problem still on the Versant 80?

The company who printed the sheets for me were one of the first in the country to get a Versant 2100 and also had this problem. Xerox used theirs as a test machine and any problems they had were logged and new components were made and applied as modifications to all other 2100's, that's why you may not see this on yours but my engineer told me that without the modifications, you would have also seen the lines on the 2100.

What I don't get is that the Versant 80 came out AFTER the 2100, so after modifying the 2100, why is this problem still on the Versant 80?

Still sounds a little fishy to me. We got one of the first 2100's in the Southeast. In fact, we've had that one so long, I believe the 5 year lease is up on it next spring. It's never been "modified", and, we've never had that problem. The second 2100 that we got 2 years ago had some problems that the techs couldn't figure out, (but, I don't think it is the one that you describe), so, they replaced the box and we've had no further issues with that one.

Worked though something similar to this on a Versant 3100 running 120# cover. Only showed up on duplexing, and started on the 4th sheet. Setting Paper Curl Correction - 1 side Face Up: to Severe Upward seams to have virtually eliminated the problem. I figured it was a jarring on the duplexing paper path that was causing this.

Can anyone tell by the attached images if the 2nd BTR Assembly is bad and causing all this toner left behind causing poor quality or dirty edged on all prints in that same area on the sheet? I'm going to have my manager order the part as we aren't currently on a maintenance contract anymore but wanted to be sure before ordering a $600 part. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo8681.jpg
    photo8681.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 436
  • photo8682.jpg
    photo8682.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 420
Can anyone tell by the attached images if the 2nd BTR Assembly is bad and causing all this toner left behind causing poor quality or dirty edged on all prints in that same area on the sheet? I'm going to have my manager order the part as we aren't currently on a maintenance contract anymore but wanted to be sure before ordering a $600 part. Thanks!

Looks pretty bad to me. Check your usage counter. It is probably way overdue to be changed. The 2nd BTR also collects some toner, is it full?

Has the IBT cleaner been cleaned out or replaced?

It hasn't been replaced yet, actually had a tech out and said he thought it was the fuser, another tech said he thought it was coming from above. I'm the digital printer here and just trying to find the cause so I figured it was the unit itself and not the fuser or above IBT belt that all seems fine. I haven't cleaned it other then whipping it off but of course it comes right back. Would you recommend taking it out and vacuuming it and trying that. My manager is going to order a new one I was just trying to verify that it is the unit causing that problem before ordering it since we have to pay for the part. Thanks for your reply!

With poor quality or dirty edged on all prints in that same area it is most likely (and it looks that way) the 2nd BTR roller. You will need another 2nd BTR at sometime anyway so it won't hurt to order one and have it on hand.

Ok thanks, the worst part of it is that it gets the back side dirty and if you duplex anything those dirty toner gets fused on but if we run it simplex it just wipes off. I'm going to have manager order part and I'll try to replace it and then hopefully back to normal.

Right...here we go!!!!!

Before and After Pics attached (Lines are darker on the actual sheet - the camera didn't show it up clearly).

Had an engineer round for 100gsm uncoated creases (it was the fuser) and whilst he was round, I showed him this forum...he did laugh at some of the comments but said exactly as Rory did. Anyway he also showed me a solution WHICH WORKS!!! (But only on the Cyan, Magenta and Yellow). He also said that black was the last colour to lay down and there is no way round having lines on Black.

What he did was slow the machine down so that the heavier sheets don't come to a sudden stop and knock the machine and cause as much of a judder.

Login as Admin > tools > maintenance (1 click down in the features menu on the right hand side) > NVM Read / Write > Chain Link 740-492 - Confirm > New Value - 1 > Save > Close > Close > Device Information > Reboot Now (this will not click when pressed but the Versant will reboot)

The machine will run at a much slower speed but at least it is a work around.

When you have run your job and want to reset back to normal speed go back into the above but change the New Value from 1 back to 0 (1 = Slow Speed, 0 = Normal Speed)

Anyone else who tries this, please let me know if you are successful.
on mine the value in 740-492 is not 1 or 0 but a 5 digit number

Right...here we go!!!!!

Before and After Pics attached (Lines are darker on the actual sheet - the camera didn't show it up clearly).

Had an engineer round for 100gsm uncoated creases (it was the fuser) and whilst he was round, I showed him this forum...he did laugh at some of the comments but said exactly as Rory did. Anyway he also showed me a solution WHICH WORKS!!! (But only on the Cyan, Magenta and Yellow). He also said that black was the last colour to lay down and there is no way round having lines on Black.

What he did was slow the machine down so that the heavier sheets don't come to a sudden stop and knock the machine and cause as much of a judder.

Login as Admin > tools > maintenance (1 click down in the features menu on the right hand side) > NVM Read / Write > Chain Link 740-492 - Confirm > New Value - 1 > Save > Close > Close > Device Information > Reboot Now (this will not click when pressed but the Versant will reboot)

The machine will run at a much slower speed but at least it is a work around.

When you have run your job and want to reset back to normal speed go back into the above but change the New Value from 1 back to 0 (1 = Slow Speed, 0 = Normal Speed)

Anyone else who tries this, please let me know if you are successful.
I have a Versant 2100. After entering the Chain Link 740-492, when the CONFIRM button is hit it says it is not a valid number. They may have made a change in firmware with the version I am running in August 2021. Current Chain Link is 740-494.

In making that change it did not resolve the problem. Suspecting a bad fuser module in my case. Tech says my registration problem not holding and wandering could be the fuser module. Could also be responsible for the band across all colors.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back