Acrobat Preflight 9 vs X

I did a quick test using Acrobat Pro 9.5.2 and I do not get invalid fonts when I use the preflight flattener fix or flatten transparency from the tools menu.

We are still investigating here as we cannot duplicate this...

It appears that if you run the flattener by itself, as opposed to as part of a conversion to one of the PDF standards (such as PDF/X or PDF/A), then it will invoke additional font optimizations that are perfectly valid for "regular" PDF. As such, we are not inclined to correct it since it is doing it's job of producing the best possible PDF that it can, given all the information it has.

This is another reason why working with PDF/X (any flavor) from the start of the workflow will guarantee you the best results - because it clearly identifies your intentions.

Hey Leonard, why should Separation All never be converted to grayscale?

Because Separation All means that the object should appear on ALL plates but doesn't actually have a real color associated with it. Converting it to grayscale will cause it to appear ONLY on the black plate.

It appears that if you run the flattener by itself, as opposed to as part of a conversion to one of the PDF standards (such as PDF/X or PDF/A), then it will invoke additional font optimizations that are perfectly valid for "regular" PDF. As such, we are not inclined to correct it since it is doing it's job of producing the best possible PDF that it can, given all the information it has.
Oh well, seems like another workaround. I can no longer just use the Flatten transparency Fix, but must use one of the other Profiles that happens to incorporate it. Those more inclusive Profiles have pitfalls of their own in terms of unexpected results. I find the granular control of using individual fixups is essential when working with many PDFs.
Anyway, thanks for looking into this.

Because Separation All means that the object should appear on ALL plates but doesn't actually have a real color associated with it. Converting it to grayscale will cause it to appear ONLY on the black plate.

Thanks, but a good portion of printing done these days doesn't rely on plates anymore. The reason I'm asking is because those Separation All registration marks are the source of color click charge headaches in digital printing when the real intent is for B&W clicks for greyscale pages. A workaround is to use Pitstop to globally convert those marks to a single color. From a digital standpoint, it just doesn't make sense why it's considered taboo for Acrobat to convert registration marks as well when converting pages to grayscale. That's all.

The ink manager has a shortcoming (ink manager is the same in convert colours, or if you click on the ink bottle to get directly to it or approach it from the output preview or the advanced print dialogue) that the colours are not previewed as swatches. But the ink manager was designed so that you see if it is spot or process. If you use the output preview you can see the colours (if you need to see colour swatches to explain the name) Maybe in future we will be able to see something like the recolour artwork? Some of us are so seldom in those dialogue boxes because we do that part of the process in the RIP rather than in Acrobat.

acrobat x colour remapping problems

acrobat x colour remapping problems

Stick it on your favorite file sharing site - DropBox, Acrobat.com, etc. and post the URL

Hi Leonardr

Sorry for delay in posting these files, just had to get permission from the owners to post the files

One is the original, the other is the remapped copy

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• 45 Sonia Kapur artwork_Imposed_D copy.pdf
    871.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 45 Sonia Kapur artwork_Imposed_D.pdf
    619 KB · Views: 251
The ink manager has a shortcoming (ink manager is the same in convert colours, or if you click on the ink bottle to get directly to it or approach it from the output preview or the advanced print dialogue) that the colours are not previewed as swatches. But the ink manager was designed so that you see if it is spot or process. If you use the output preview you can see the colours (if you need to see colour swatches to explain the name) Maybe in future we will be able to see something like the recolour artwork? Some of us are so seldom in those dialogue boxes because we do that part of the process in the RIP rather than in Acrobat.

The swatches were available in acrobat 9. We have a basic rip so remapping separations are not something I can do in the rip. We use the remap colours in acrobat to force the spots to use the cmyk colourbar that the imposition program puts on the file. It is not capable of putting a spot colour on the colourbar from a composite file. The reason we use this program so much is that it is very quick at creating an imposition from scratch where you have different quantities of business cards on the same sheet. Our new imposition software can handle the colourbar issue but the automation part is limited and will not allow us to have different gutters on the same sheet and the mark set is extremely limited so we only use it for the simple jobs and booklets.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back