Annual Service Contract Increases??

printmgr

Hi Everyone,
We are being told by one of our vendors that we will have to anticipate a 10% annual increase to our service contract this next year on some of our machines moving forward...

Is this standard? Also, do most of you guys out their demand single click 11 x 17 on color & B&W? Just curious...

Thanks!

I've always been locked in long term - 5 years - with new equipment bought or leased. Older stuff does have increases. 11 x 17s one click, always.

Quick answer... it depends.

It only became standard in the last few years for most company's to offer 11x17= 1 click. So new equipment you should see that older stuff... maybe, maybe not. Almost all engines are designed & rated (duty cycle) based upon 8.5x11 so 11x17 can mess that up... In the office equipment world it is still not standard, but Production print, usually it is.

The Annual increase is fairly standard. Which % is typically negotiable. Some have locked in rates, some don't some negotiate each year and end up not paying increases. Typically for a locked in rate, the rep will calculate service for 5 years with raises built in and take an average. The reason is that at the compeditive rates, that can only work for the service department while the equipment is relatively serivce free... Usually with older equipment, they start requiring more calls and parts and therefore cost more to run. I know for us, this past year with gas price increases, all things parts, Service Tech mileage reimbursement and other areas went up signifigantly.

Basicly its all negotiable. I would do so with the service manager and ask for future pricing to plan. As an example, we've seen a newer Sharp model litterally go from PM to PM over and over so far were at 1.5 million copys and ZERO service calls (on one of the many placed). On those accounts, if asked we likely would not only not do an increase but potentially lower the shops average CPC via still raising the older stuff but lowering that machines to make up for it. Service wants to do what they can. They only tend to clam up, when they are asked to make unreasonable (in there mind) consessions.

Annual increases is industry standard these days. 10% is about the average, historically I've seen increases around 5% only. Some years no increase at all.

You could fix the rates initially, all you are doing is paying in advance a higher rate that may or may not increase in the future.

it all depends on how much new technology is put in the market, and a lot of different external factors such as economic cycles, Wall Street, etc.

11x17, should be 1 click only.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back