Are Prepress the whipping boys?

Sometimes that's just how it seems.....
I'm low man on the totem pole at my place and it just seems like if the preroom manager is having a bad day, little issues become HUGE deals.

He's got a big problem with communication
He'll say, "I need this dieline file today" (My day lasts until 3:30 mind you)
He MEANS, "I need you to drop everything and have it done by 11am"

I guess I'm supposed to have "mind reader" in my job description.

He went on and on and on because I din't have a die line done for SOMEONE ELSES JOB at 1pm. Bear in mind it takes but a few minutes to get this done, and I was taking care of it already in between jobs.....

Some days it just doesn't seem like you can win.

On the upside, today I have a fresh new ass chewed out!

Hang in there ... and you're right some days you can't win. As a guy who has worked both in production and management I can relate to what you're saying here, and for my own part, have tried hard over the years to remember from where I came from and how I felt when managers berated me for things. As far as your own situation goes, the next time your manager asks to to have something completed "today," clarify with him at what time he actually needs it. At least that way you'll both be on the same page. From my own experience, my perception of "now" or "today" are sometimes vastly different from what the guys working for me are thinking, and I try whenever possible to give them a hard deadline as to when I'm expecting something to be completed.

And yes, sometimes prepress workers are the whipping boys [and girls]. But that has more to do with how important that function is than with anything devious going on. Prepress touches and works on everything in most shops, and has a tremendous influence over jobs and work from the beginning all the way through the production cycle. It's a great responsbility, for sure, but it should also be a lot more fulfilling to know that you're playing an extremely important part in the operation and success of your company.

Good luck, and I hope things work out for you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back