Buying a Minolta 6500 - what should I ask?

Hi,

Can you help me ask the right questions when purchasing my printer?

I currenlty use a Xerox 7655 which is breaking down during our peak season as we are running it overcapacity. We are reasonably content with the quality for our colour prints as we print-on-demand our in-house children's books (kids aren't super picky). Speed is not a huge issue for us. We plan to run an average of 30k per month, with peaks of 100k in november and december. 90% of our prints are colour on paper 100 to 180 GSM 12x18 duplexed. We tend to use less expensive non brand name paper.

I just need to increase my capacity. Price is a HUGE factor for me.

Thanks for all your help.

One big thing to consider... and maybe it was said as I've only read 1/2 of the posts....

The C6500 needs to run. Your avg. volume is somewhat low for it. I might suggest looking at simply adding a machine for capacity verse replacing one for one. If you like th e7665 but have over used it, maybe look at a new second one & use the older one durring peaks. In my experiance the C65 needs to run a minimum of 50k a month to run well, some would say that your 30k is enough. It partly depends on your tech. But if price is a HUGE factor as you said, adding a second 76xx would be your least expensive option and one that should work well for you. If your worried about "wearing it out" ... take the cost savings and do a shorter term lease.

Lastly be wary of demo's... when I worked for KM I was told to sell a demo model that had litterally been hit by a forklift and bent the frame. ON an 11' long machine a bent frame is never good. In production, if your getting a demo machine I'd always ask for an out.

The C6501 is a fine machine, though not without flaws. But then, what is? Calibrate regularly, NOT off-the-glass but with the ES1000, and don't be shy at setting up specific paper profiles for stocks based on your own performance findings. Concur that 30K is a bit low for optimal performance, but it'll run your quoted stock all day long. Get a copy of the KM Substrate Throughput Assurance Guide. If the stock's in there, KM will support it to the hilt.

I've worked for Océ and a KM dealer. If you're next door to the Océ service office, you might do well, but their relatively small market presence means a relatively small tech force. Keep in mind that they as a rebadger get KM updates to parts and firmware a bit behind KM branch and dealers. Oh, and if you get torqued with Océ and want to go "back" to KM you're in for a shock. Not all parts are the same and you WILL be charged to migrate your rebadged KM box back to OEM. Depending on model, this can mean different toner guides, firmware blowout and reload, etc.

Océ North America is still a company with multiple personality disorder. The disconnect between their commercial and production print organizations is a major blunder, IMO, and there are still Pitney Blows execs hiding under rocks hoping they don't get the axe next. They just canned their Sales EVP. They paint their rebadge strategy as a strength but every time it's a choice between them and the OEM or a dealer.... take the OEM.

The C6501 is a fine machine, though not without flaws. But then, what is? Calibrate regularly, NOT off-the-glass but with the ES1000, and don't be shy at setting up specific paper profiles for stocks based on your own performance findings. Concur that 30K is a bit low for optimal performance, but it'll run your quoted stock all day long. Get a copy of the KM Substrate Throughput Assurance Guide. If the stock's in there, KM will support it to the hilt.

I've worked for Océ and a KM dealer. If you're next door to the Océ service office, you might do well, but their relatively small market presence means a relatively small tech force. Keep in mind that they as a rebadger get KM updates to parts and firmware a bit behind KM branch and dealers. Oh, and if you get torqued with Océ and want to go "back" to KM you're in for a shock. Not all parts are the same and you WILL be charged to migrate your rebadged KM box back to OEM. Depending on model, this can mean different toner guides, firmware blowout and reload, etc.

Océ North America is still a company with multiple personality disorder. The disconnect between their commercial and production print organizations is a major blunder, IMO, and there are still Pitney Blows execs hiding under rocks hoping they don't get the axe next. They just canned their Sales EVP. They paint their rebadge strategy as a strength but every time it's a choice between them and the OEM or a dealer.... take the OEM.

Maybe in some markets, but not here. KM could not keep our machine running and they voluntarily came in and asked us if they could return our money and remove the machine. Now, Oce is servicing the same machine, it works as it is supposed to, and we have a second one. Why would we ever want to go back to KM?

Maybe in some markets, but not here. KM could not keep our machine running and they voluntarily came in and asked us if they could return our money and remove the machine. Now, Oce is servicing the same machine, it works as it is supposed to, and we have a second one. Why would we ever want to go back to KM?

Well, at least they were honest about it. Which market? I don't work for KM; I work for a dealer that reps KM, Toshiba, HP & KIP. This after a few years at Océ. Now, KM & Océ are tight, tight, tight. KM's selling the Gemini boxes now, and leveraging Océ's HV monochrome technologies. They should drop the Sharp and Toshiba rebadges and bite the bullet as a KM-only shop for commercial boxes, IMO. The different machines mean techs in the commercial space have a lot of mental "gear-changing" to do vs. a single-OEM house.

Well, at least they were honest about it. Which market? I don't work for KM; I work for a dealer that reps KM, Toshiba, HP & KIP. This after a few years at Océ. Now, KM & Océ are tight, tight, tight. KM's selling the Gemini boxes now, and leveraging Océ's HV monochrome technologies. They should drop the Sharp and Toshiba rebadges and bite the bullet as a KM-only shop for commercial boxes, IMO. The different machines mean techs in the commercial space have a lot of mental "gear-changing" to do vs. a single-OEM house.

Colorado Front Range - We are in Colorado Springs.

Hello everyone,

Need some advice, is a second hand Bizhub C6500 a good deal at £12000. I currently outsource all my print work and really need to find an in house solution.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Need some advice, is a second hand Bizhub C6500 a good deal at £12000. I currently outsource all my print work and really need to find an in house solution.

• How many clicks on it?
  • What type of work was it doing?
  • Where was it last placed?
  • PM schedule current?
  • Kept under service at its last home?
  • How does the PO rate the service given?
  • Why is it for sale?

More info helps...

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your comments. You really helped me alot. I ended up purchasing the DC 260 demo and renegotiating my old printer cpc at the same time. The lease and service agreement is direct with Xerox. With our projected volume this year, our total costs should go down.

I'll let you know if I regret the decision. If so, it won't be from lack of warning and information on your part.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back