C6501 Issues

Hey there,

This is my first time posting so go easy! We have a Konica C6501. We've had it for 2 months and hate it! We've had Xerox machines in the past and have come to conclude we never should have left them. The Konica can't register for S***! We have horrible scewing problems which no one can seem to fix. Does anyone out there experience the same problems? If so, is there an answer? :mad:

we have a 2 month old install also and have experienced similar issues at first. As I got more experienced, it became less of a problem. One of my registration/skewing issues was caused by loading paper incorrectly by 'forcing' one of the paper guides into position instead of letting the guides center a small stack in the tray and using the adjustment screws at the top of the tray so paper can feed through without getting pinched. Also make sure you have the correct stock weight/type entered because that can be a factor. There are centering/registration calibrations you can do through the touchscreen but don't ask me how because I haven't learned any of that yet. LOL For now, I've been letting the Creo front end handle the adjustments.

I'm not trying to hear this (we've got a contract proposal on the 6501). Xerox has also given us a proposal (260). I really liked the pricing and the overall construction of the C6501, but I am concerned about registration (especially on duplexed)

Ask your rep about the fiery's "auto tray alignment" inside of command workstation. It will help. For creo, they have another name for it but its a little more involved.

gig0 Thank you for the tips. I will give it shot.

Henderd I've had Xerox 6060, an Igen for 2 years. We turned to Konica because of price, big mistake! I should have stuck with Xerox.

Sweatyclimber we have a Creo, i will ask my rep about this.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

If it were me, I would go with the Xerox 260. We looked at the KM line but the color was not up to snuff. It was a great machine from the standpoint it could handle alot of stocks and you could add a bunch of finishing features. But the Xerox blew the color out of the water and their service has been great.

That said, the 260 doesn't have perfect registration either. You really need to look at the 700 or the 1000's line for a tighter registration. Make sure you look at the Customer Expectation Docs. for each.

Just my 2 cents.(1 in this economy)

Hey there,

This is my first time posting so go easy! We have a Konica C6501. We've had it for 2 months and hate it! We've had Xerox machines in the past and have come to conclude we never should have left them. The Konica can't register for S***! We have horrible scewing problems which no one can seem to fix. Does anyone out there experience the same problems? If so, is there an answer? :mad:

Please be more specific. Register what? where? what is your configration? I can garantee this is 100% resolvable.

Hey there,

I think that KM shoot themselves in the foot with their "one size fits all" naming of what is really a wide product range. Printers need a System 7 with FACI etc. or similar. Anything else simply does not cut it and trying to save money on the spec is a false economy. I think KM shoot themselves in the other foot by allowing sales channels that don't really understand what printers need to sell the whole product line. The accidental shooting shooting metaphor is getting a bit stretched here, but they shoot themselves in some other bodily part by overselling the product. Printers really need to understand what it's good at and what it's weak at. But then, just about every vendor of machinery is guilty of that!

The bottom line for the OP is either:-

* You've been sold a machine without the heavy duty paper feed unit (PF602? from memory). Without this you really have no hope of getting good "registration" (I'm assuming you don't literally mean screening registration, but either F-T-B registration or sheet to sheet consistency). If this is the case, then you've either been mis-sold, or you plain chose the wrong spec machine.

* Your machine is broken.

* You haven't been trained right.

All of the above are fixable & I can assure you that on our 6501 System 7 the registration is extremely good over a wide range of stocks.

Hope that helps.

@Drawkward, you are wrong about colour and I can only assume that the KM dealer getting you samples was not up to the job. We run both machines in daily production, the Xerox with over a million clicks and the KM with about 400K (we've only had it a couple of months). The KM is just in a completely different league in terms of colour accuracy and consistency. We have several other issues with the KM, but the quality of the print is not one of them!

I think that KM shoot themselves in the foot with their "one size fits all" naming of what is really a wide product range. Printers need a System 7 with FACI etc. or similar. Anything else simply does not cut it and trying to save money on the spec is a false economy. I think KM shoot themselves in the other foot by allowing sales channels that don't really understand what printers need to sell the whole product line. The accidental shooting shooting metaphor is getting a bit stretched here, but they shoot themselves in some other bodily part by overselling the product. Printers really need to understand what it's good at and what it's weak at. But then, just about every vendor of machinery is guilty of that!

The bottom line for the OP is either:-

* You've been sold a machine without the heavy duty paper feed unit (PF602? from memory). Without this you really have no hope of getting good "registration" (I'm assuming you don't literally mean screening registration, but either F-T-B registration or sheet to sheet consistency). If this is the case, then you've either been mis-sold, or you plain chose the wrong spec machine.

* Your machine is broken.

* You haven't been trained right.

All of the above are fixable & I can assure you that on our 6501 System 7 the registration is extremely good over a wide range of stocks.

Hope that helps.

@Drawkward, you are wrong about colour and I can only assume that the KM dealer getting you samples was not up to the job. We run both machines in daily production, the Xerox with over a million clicks and the KM with about 400K (we've only had it a couple of months). The KM is just in a completely different league in terms of colour accuracy and consistency. We have several other issues with the KM, but the quality of the print is not one of them!

Seriously if you cut corners and buy one of these without a PF unit you are wasteing your time. The LCT is ok but even Konica changed the spec on the 5501 to allow the PF unit after about 2 months. If your trying to run this machine by the bypass tray only, don't post about the registration of this machine - I think everyone here would agree the bypass tray on any machine means exactlly that, bypass it.

Have to agree with Ifelton - the output from the 6501 in our tests was superior than the 700...We did however have a problem with scewing - literally lasted 3 months, and have just resolved it....the trays had been fitted/set up incorrectly - we had a senior engineer who came out and has now remedied this....

Why can't they be Xerox?

Why can't they be Xerox?

The 700 is far more in line with what you need to go with. The 260 is a great box, but for the best regristration, go with the 700. I have seen adjustment the user can do to zero the reg. dead on. You can also take ANY curl out of heavy weight stock whether it is coated or not. I did this with custom labels. They normally curl horribly.

As far as the 6501, it is CHEAPER. That is about it. That is the only thing you can say about the rest of the competitors. Not better just cheaper.

As far as the 6501, it is CHEAPER. That is about it. That is the only thing you can say about the rest of the competitors. Not better just cheaper.

I'm all for testing actual substrates and files when looking to add new equipment. That being said if the quality off one device meets the customers needs and that device happens to be cheaper then it may be a better solution.

I'm all for testing actual substrates and files when looking to add new equipment. That being said if the quality off one device meets the customers needs and that device happens to be cheaper then it may be a better solution.

But only if it can be productive. It won't do any good if it's down for service, whether it's a KM or Xerox or Canon.

The 700 is far more in line with what you need to go with. The 260 is a great box, but for the best regristration, go with the 700. I have seen adjustment the user can do to zero the reg. dead on. You can also take ANY curl out of heavy weight stock whether it is coated or not. I did this with custom labels. They normally curl horribly.

Ok so the 6501 does exactly the same thing but cheaper. Except no fuser problems obviously.

So is Notepad coming back, or was he plant?

Ok so the 6501 does exactly the same thing but cheaper. Except no fuser problems obviously.

So is Notepad coming back, or was he plant?

What fuser problem are you making up this week? Most users will use 2 fuses (supplied by Xerox at no cost) and use one for all prints under 12X18 and one for 12X18 and over. This is not an issue since it can be changed BY HAND and has no need for a service tech to change. Any body with one arm and a half a leg can change it.

" Now Ubertech you may respond with more lies"

What fuser problem are you making up this week? Most users will use 2 fuses (supplied by Xerox at no cost) and use one for all prints under 12X18 and one for 12X18 and over. This is not an issue since it can be changed BY HAND and has no need for a service tech to change. Any body with one arm and a half a leg can change it.

" Now Ubertech you may respond with more lies"

This fuser problem http://printplanet.com/forums/digit...6394-feedback-wanted-xerox-700-a/6#post102252 from someone who owns one. We can only change fusers like this on our office machines, looks like you have the upper hand there.

Last edited:

Spoken like a true Xerox authorized agent.

The samples given to us by various dealers after asking them to match up to offset work shows otherwise. No marketing spin for you!

One person with the machine out of the 400 sold in the first three months after introduction. One person. Easy Fix. What was the problem again?

By the way what makes KM machines better? Give me something besides cheaper.

Seriously? You don't want me to do that, for one you will knock me for defamation.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back