C6501 Issues

Let me first say the registration on the C6501 is vastly superior than most, +/- 1mm is the worst I have seen it, when you use the chart adjustment procedure for each paper type you are going to use...I can send you this procedure if you wish, all you have to do is email me at

[email protected]

On the 6500, the registration is ok, with normal being +/- 2mm per side, for a possible total of 4 mm....which is why they corrected it on the C6501.

Again those having trouble feel free to email me and I will do what I can to send you the info

Request you to kindly send me the registration adjustment procedure for Km c6501 m/c.
Thanks

KM stands for Killer Machine!

KM stands for Killer Machine!

I absolutely hate the KM. If only I could turn back time.......
Any high up Xerox people reading all this. Just reduce your prices on the 700 and reap the benefits....

Is anyone else unhappy about
reversed text/coloured text.
The non ability to do gradients.
Thin text.
Skewing
Paper getting stuck (even recommended stocks)
Inability to do NCR paper without crunching, ripping ect ect
Can only do 1 banner at a time ( cant load 20 sheets and ask it to do all 20 in one go)

and...(insert your problems/griefs here)

These machines remind me of a Swiss Army Knife. They can apprently do everything, but when it comes down to it, you find that the scissors doesnt work on such and such paper, or the file can only file if your standing downwind to a herd of zebra....anyway you get my drift.

Maybe I should just be chasing BW 6 page A4 newsletters and not worry about the million other jobs that our clients throw at us...

Sorry, Im just venting....

You bought what was inexpensive, not what was the best. There are limitations with any copier... oops "digital press".
But for the money the Konica does a good job.
Just remember it's no where near high end quality, be sure to educate the sales staff of its limits.

Any high up Xerox people reading all this. Just reduce your prices on the 700 and reap the benefits....

Part of it is patience and experience. We have an Oce CS650 and CS665 (which are KM's) and I guarantee you we could run circles around 700's. Everybody wants a "color press" but wants to operate it with a push-button mentality. Learn the machine and maximize it - our clients are very particular and absolutely love what comes off of those two presses.

tech difference between KM 6501 and 700

tech difference between KM 6501 and 700

Xerox x700 gave print at 2400 x 2400 dpi while KM 6501 gave it at 600x600, so how come 6501 can be better

Part of it is patience and experience. We have an Oce CS650 and CS665 (which are KM's) and I guarantee you we could run circles around 700's. Everybody wants a "color press" but wants to operate it with a push-button mentality. Learn the machine and maximize it - our clients are very particular and absolutely love what comes off of those two presses.

Exactly

Currently we only have a Xerox C5540 (basically 252 without a rip)

We have put so much effort into learning the machine that i can print almost anything perfectly, eg register less than 1mm sheet to sheet etc

Going to a 6501 soon, should be a good step up.

Is anyone else unhappy about
reversed text/coloured text.
The non ability to do gradients.
Thin text.
Skewing
Paper getting stuck (even recommended stocks)
Inability to do NCR paper without crunching, ripping ect ect
Can only do 1 banner at a time ( cant load 20 sheets and ask it to do all 20 in one go)

and...(insert your problems/griefs here)

These machines remind me of a Swiss Army Knife. They can apprently do everything, but when it comes down to it, you find that the scissors doesnt work on such and such paper, or the file can only file if your standing downwind to a herd of zebra....anyway you get my drift.

Maybe I should just be chasing BW 6 page A4 newsletters and not worry about the million other jobs that our clients throw at us...

Sorry, Im just venting....

Amen, Amen, Amen...
I have had NOTHING BUT problems with the c6500 since I began and don't foresee any changes in the near/far future.

FTB registration is horrible and requires a head/head approach which is incredibly frustrating.
In-machine duplex requires an image adjustment of nearly an 1/8 of an inch (gotta LOVE the tech spec of 3mm guideline!!!haha)
As for color???
Better have the color-strips HANDY as in on the machine...
(I was actually told by the tech to print out a color strip from an extREMELy out of calibration machine...and to use that to calibrate - nice huh?)
Customer Service?
See you sometime next week...

Overall, my experience has been everything described above and worse - and I've been in this business for 14 years. I don't want perfection...
I want what they advertise and N...E...V...E...R seem to deliver on.

We had a re-badged version of this machine and after 7 months of continuous problems with the machine (marks on drums requiring engineer visits time after time), we have moved it out of our premises and are now in legal debate with them.

We have Xerox 700 which is a second user unit and this seems much better put together and produces high quality print without the problems for the KM machine, this machine should never of been classed as a produced machine in my opinion it is only suitable for an office environment where high coverage and workload is strictly limited.

Do not go near this machine if you value your sanity! :mad:

We had a re-badged version of this machine and after 7 months of continuous problems with the machine (marks on drums requiring engineer visits time after time), we have moved it out of our premises and are now in legal debate with them.

We have Xerox 700 which is a second user unit and this seems much better put together and produces high quality print without the problems for the KM machine, this machine should never of been classed as a produced machine in my opinion it is only suitable for an office environment where high coverage and workload is strictly limited.

Do not go near this machine if you value your sanity! :mad:

Spots on the drum are a 5 minute operator fix if your servicing branch was smart enough to properly train your key op. Most all of the complaints on this thread are either untrained customers, poor service branches, a combo of the two, or lazy operators who don't want to "learn" what the machine can do. These boxes aren't perfect, but we have seen a couple folks almost go under from X 700's, so nothing is. The belief that any machine shows up and is "push button", brainless operation is a myth.

Spots on the drum are a 5 minute operator fix if your servicing branch was smart enough to properly train your key op. Most all of the complaints on this thread are either untrained customers, poor service branches, a combo of the two, or lazy operators who don't want to "learn" what the machine can do. These boxes aren't perfect, but we have seen a couple folks almost go under from X 700's, so nothing is. The belief that any machine shows up and is "push button", brainless operation is a myth.

Hi Steve

Can you explain this easy fix then? We have had a lot of engineers attending the machine who usually just replace the drums that have the problems, also as a customer I do not have access to the new drums so we were always waiting for the engineer to turn up and replace. With the Xerox machine they supply us the new drums and are very easy to replace. Our new machine have been doing the job without too many issues and in my opinion is a much better put together package for the professional printer. The KM machine I think is a office machine which is out of its depth when in a production environment.

Hi Steve

Can you explain this easy fix then? We have had a lot of engineers attending the machine who usually just replace the drums that have the problems, also as a customer I do not have access to the new drums so we were always waiting for the engineer to turn up and replace. With the Xerox machine they supply us the new drums and are very easy to replace. Our new machine have been doing the job without too many issues and in my opinion is a much better put together package for the professional printer. The KM machine I think is a office machine which is out of its depth when in a production environment.

You need to talk to your area service manager and talk to them about it. We provided a cabinet for them to store high frequency items and they taught our ops to change cortrons, clean lenses, change fuser stations, and clean the toner spots from drums and/or replace the drum if the spots won't clean off. If we swap a drum, we just call the tech so they know and we clear the counter in the machine. If your service organization wants your business, they will show you how it is done. I guess if they balk at it, shame on them.

Lets put it this way, I have had a meeting with sales rep, service manager and the result was. We can double your click charge to maintain the quality of print I require or I can put up and shut up. Solicitor is now involved!

Lets put it this way, I have had a meeting with sales rep, service manager and the result was. We can double your click charge to maintain the quality of print I require or I can put up and shut up. Solicitor is now involved!

Suck - sounds like you are working with some extremely lame organization at your level. Start calling corporate every day until someone gets a rash and decides to do something. That is unacceptable level of service, regardless of brand.

Issues pertaining to the original thread:

To keep in mind: Each stock that we use has been registered after Machine Adjustments have been setup
- Uncorrectable machine skew regardless of personal efforts and technician's efforts in the Machine Adjustments on paper from 75gsm-256gsm (worse as the gsm increases)
- Skewing out of PF trays
- Shifting in the sub-scan direction on the front side of prints simplex and duplex regardless of the accuracy of the paper length (Simplex printing produces 1 out of 5 sheets where the front image shifts an average of 2-3mm. Backside registration seems to hold very well on duplex thus it appears as a 2-3mm F-T-B shift) <-- (slightly confuses me because if the image is shifting on the front side of a simplex, that should be the backside of a duplex... is this right?)

Side issue that may be related?:
- When printing on 10pt card stock short grain, images on the lead edge side of the main-scan centre line will mis-register enough for the magenta and cyan to be seen by the naked eye (cyan shifts towards the lead edge, magenta shifts away from the lead edge). Strangely enough it is not the entire section it seems to be only near the centre and not near any of the sides of the sheet. Leads me to believe there may be an issue the the laser-write unit.

If anyone has found solutions to these issues, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

1 Possibly a bad registration board in the PF unit. We have been through 4 new boards on our CS650.
2 PF is not properly level to main print engine
3 PF unit is bad - we're on our second unit on CS650 after board changes failed to correct

As far as FTB registration, that is not always the print sequence, as that can be altered by your finishing sequence. (i.e., Print Face Down, Reverse Print Order, etc.) The registration for the 1st imaged side out of the PF Unit is handled by different sensors than the registration for the side 2 image.

We have had many of the same issues and sometimes have to ride service pretty hard to get a response. However, I am not embarrassed to place a call every day until they get the picture ;)

I've used the chart adjustment before but gave up on it. I make the adjustments, registration is perfect then it goes off again within two to three sheets. Does anyone know why this is happening? This is on a 6500 btw, using a Creo ic-304.
Same here. brand new KM6000L - less than 10k.
One sheet perfect - next - the back is off by 1,5 mm and skew...

Last edited:
So figured out some of the skew.... The dual entrance rollers.... hold one finger on the bottom rubber roller and see if the top white rollers give at all... check both relative to each other... if one sticks and the other turns, you have a bent frame or unbalanced roller.

I am still getting skewing but this is at least a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately I am still getting significant skewing and am working hard to determine the causes.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back