Calibration for Different Stocks

che.c

We run an Epson 9800 which was 'calibrated' a long time ago (before I joined the company) by running it on different stocks and switching around the bundled profiles until the colour looked right.

Since then the stocks we are running on have changed and it's in need of another calibration - both for colour and ink coverage (we have some drafting paper that we just can't run at all).

It is being run through ProofMaster RIP and the boss can get access to a spectrophotometer but has been told that it's really difficult to use and will end up wasting days trying to get the colours right. Proofmaster uses DFPs instead of ICCs - slightly different process that is meant to make things easier (aren't they all?).

I've never used one before, but I've read through the rip documentation and it seems straightforward enough - does anybody have any experience in setting up this RIP? Also some general tips or experiences in getting wide format ink jet producing reliably would be appreciated.

It is going to be used for high quality production and does not need to match the output of any other device.

The rip is where the reliability and consistantcy is going to come from. I will tell you this, I have a Mutoh Valuejet 48" model that is built off of that same print engine and body your using right now. I use FlexiSign Pro to run the machine and it prints consistantly on any media I put in the machine. I will also say this, I dont ever change profiles either. I use the same profile for any media I put in the machine, whether it is adhesive back vinyl, banner material, heat transfer material, or just plain paper. Within reason, and media finish, I can produce matching color on any of that material using just one profile.

The 9800 is a more forgiving machine, but I would bet any amount of money, if you changed rips so you could use ICC's your going to produce more vivid color and do it consistantly. The rip is everything in inkjet printing. As long as the machines are maintenanced well and run consistantly, then the rip is going to be where the problem lies.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back