Can you measure spot color density value?

drummerpaco

Can you measure spot color density value?

I know that I could measure density using Xrite 939 for CMYK, however when it comes to measuring spot color density such as Pantone 361 C (Green), how could I measure density using Xrite 939?

Densitometer: for Non-Process Colours

Densitometer: for Non-Process Colours

Hello drummerpaco,

1) Read pass sheet, using the Densitometer taking readings by using the

various filters and using the ONE which gives the highest reading.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Thanks for the note, BeauchamT

Well, I am not sure what are the various filter. Are you referring UV filter or Polarized?
If I measure density from Xrite 939, there is CMY and V. I am not sure what exactly what "V" stands for. may be visual?

I want to measure density of various screens of printed sample. How would you measure the density value. 10%, 50% 75% of printed sample?

Its risky and unreliable trying to measure density on printed screen work with a densitometer because any dot gain will change your density numbers and its not density that caused the shift in numbers. you are better off putting on some solid ink patches and a 50% patch beside it and then measuring the SID and dot gain to give you a more reliable number to work with when you attempt to measure the screen patch. V on the readout means Visual I believe.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back