Can you tell me how to do from graphic to sketch

bigsmile

Hi all,

Still need your help.

Please see below picture, can you tell me how to do by using illustrator or photoshop.

The original is a graphic, and the result is a sketch.

Thanks & Regards
Robin

Attachments

• Sketch.JPG
    Sketch.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 178
some times you just have to do the work

some times you just have to do the work

You get faster at illustrator as you learn it better…*practice makes perfect.
You can try live trace and play with settings, but it will not produce as clean results, and tidying it after may mean more work…*if you're a perfectionist.

Sheesh...you guys need to get away from the computer once in a while ;-)

It would take me about 10 minutes to trace the shoe using a dactylically manipulated high-contrast linear pigment deposition system (a.k.a. felt pen). Then scan the drawing and, optionally, do the auto-trace in illustrator.

Hire an artiste.

best, gordon p

Dunno, I'd just do it with the pen tool in Illustrator. Auto-trace is for art students =P

Seriously though, it does seem that a lot of people will try to build a digital Goldberg machine to do things that can easily be done with the more simple tools available and a bit of skill.

edit: That might have sounded mean or something. I'm not trying to down-play folks who use automated tools. Just saying that the simplest solution isn't always in a pull-down menu.

Last edited:
Kind of a tangential issue, but I find the pen tool in Photoshop to be a LOT more usable than in Illustrator. The modifier keys (Cmd, Option, Ctrl) allow me to draw much more quickly in Pshop, and allow for much nicer curve fitting.

Kind of a tangential issue, but I find the pen tool in Photoshop to be a LOT more usable than in Illustrator. The modifier keys (Cmd, Option, Ctrl) allow me to draw much more quickly in Pshop, and allow for much nicer curve fitting.

I've always preferred Photoshop's pen tool as well. It seems to create a smoother transition from one curve to the next than drawing the same shape in Illy. In Illy I'm often left with a noticeable "bump."

Aha but PS doesn't have the "hold space bar to reposition currently being created point" option that Illustrator has. Also in PS you won't be able to do the stitches as stokes with dashed appearance which is really the big time savers.

Never needed the first option, and the second is easily overcome by drawing the paths in Photoshop and then exporting them to Illy to finish up.

Also in PS you won't be able to do the stitches as stokes with dashed appearance which is really the big time savers.

On a sidebar, Illustrator will give you evenly spaced dashes. However, if you look at the original posted art you'll see that the stitches are not evenly spaced - which is correct, since the uneven spacing of the stitches help to describe the form of the shoe more effectively.

The original:
Shoe.jpg

This is pretty clearly a hand drawing done somewhat incorrectly by manually drawing dashed lines instead of the "right" way by drawing a continuous line and then making it into dashes by the use of white paint as would have been done in the steam-powered days way back when.

This is one of the things that I used to do for a living when one could make a living doing such things.

best, gordon p

Last edited:
:) ty gordon, I think i get my sketch book out and do some tactile therapy ;)

Ironic really thinking that the word digit in digital actually means finger.
So digital art should actually mean finger painting?

Aha but PS doesn't have the "hold space bar to reposition currently being created point" option that Illustrator has. Also in PS you won't be able to do the stitches as stokes with dashed appearance which is really the big time savers.

Ah, didn't know about that one!

In Photoshop it's the Cmd key. Photoshop allows you to go between the "Path Selection" tool (solid arrow) and the "Direct Selection" tool (hollow arrow).

Illy defaults to the Path Selection tool if you hit the Cmd key while using the Pen tool - unless you select the Direct Selection tool just before clicking on the Pen tool. This has always driven me nuts! But, you just showed me a way to make Illy a more friendly tool.

Thanks, Lukas.

Hi All,

Thanks for your advise.
Due to we just a artwork studio, the best way for us is draw in Illustrator. As you said, the more exercise, the less time will be needed.

By the way, do you often have this job?

Thanks, Robin.

"Photocopy" filter in PS isn't to bad...
Somewhere to start
:)

Attachments

• Sketch.JPG
    Sketch.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 173
Dunno, I'd just do it with the pen tool in Illustrator. Auto-trace is for art students =P

Seriously though, it does seem that a lot of people will try to build a digital Goldberg machine to do things that can easily be done with the more simple tools available and a bit of skill.

edit: That might have sounded mean or something. I'm not trying to down-play folks who use automated tools. Just saying that the simplest solution isn't always in a pull-down menu.

Yep, pen tool is the way to go. It's quick, easy, and waaay cleaner than drawing by hand. I wouldn't touch it in photoshop tho, this is an illustrator job.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back