Can't get past waiting to print status

labooth

Hey guys,

I am in a pickle. My boss left after I told him that I could profile the HP5000
Design Jet printer with new media while he is gone. I sort of fudged about my
experience with Onyx and now it's come back to bite me...

So, here is the problem if you can help.

The Rip is stuck and waiting to print and print now button is grayed out,
printing to the TCP/IP works fine with other rips Wasatch and flexi sign pro.
Can't seem to get past the "waiting to print" portion. Have gone through every
help on line, gone through the manual, have never worked with Onyx except 5.6
and maybe a 6.0 can’t quite remember. So, for now, I am stuck! There are no
error messages or anything like that to tell me what direction to go to. Have
tried the normal 9100 port, have pinged the jet direct server and it comes back
with a positive IP address. Only working with the Ethernet Broadcom gigabit and
just can’t get past this. The photo is in there and I have gone through all
trouble shooting I can find. Have double checked that all settings are correct
and booted up the Wasatch 6.3 to make sure properties were the same and zipped
right through it. And the same with Flexi Sign, there were no problems with
either two. I used the same port coming off of the back of the computer.

So can you assist with this or point me to a forum to look through?

Thanks.
laura

Re: Can't get past waiting to print status

Hi,

I believe you'll have to 'Create' a media first. Soundz like Onyx is looking for the Printer to be set up with the media you are trying to profile. (ie. the printer is set for photo gloss paper and the job calls for matte)
Goto Media Manager>Create New Media or something like that.

It's been a while for me, too. But I think you'll find this to be the case.

Hope that's helpful.

-Jeremy

Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion and it still kept on doing the "waiting to print" status and would hang there. So, as embarrassing as this situation is for me, I am hoping the sales rep does not become aware of this while the owner is gone. Got the online help menu, started reading and thought it sounded pretty good to duplicate the printer option. When I did this, it came up with a warning that stated "too many media modes are available for this 'virtual printer'...." so I went up to the little printer icon, clicked on it, hit print and it started printing on the 42 inch wide format 8.5 x 11s. So, it sounds like, somehow there is a windows driver doing this and I am puzzled as to why a virtual printer is installed versus the standard printer for the RIP.

Any suggestions? My job may be on the line. At least now I know that the ethernet and the tcp/ip ports are communicating correctly and I have use of a virtual printer. But if I go through RIP queue and try to print, it waits to print.

thanks so much.......... this is beginning to really mess with my lil blonde head.

laura

Very Odd, the only thing I can think of is that onyx is set to autoprint when you have a certain amount of the roll filled eg.70%. This could explain why the print button is greyed out as that only happens when it is on auto start mode. You should be able to get to this setting where you select the roll type and width, should be a button to take you to the next screen to specify start options.

The 9100 port is correct for the 5500, let me know if you need anymore help as I have a 5500 as well running of my RIP as well

I think this was stated already, but I'm not 100% sure it's the same thing. When you created your new media, you need to be sure that when you go to the RIP, you go to the change button on the printer, and select that new media... that could give you a waiting to print message on the file, but have print now grayed out.

Another thing you could try is to change the print mode in Media Manager - instead of printing through RIP Queue, print directly to the printer. It's a change in the general settings of the program. It might help. I've found that on my Z6100s, I cannot go through the RIP Queue and use the spectrophotometer on the Z6100 to create media profiles or re-calibrate. I need to print direct to the printer. Not sure why....

Please also feel free to contact me with Onyx & HP problems. I am running 3 Z6100s and 1 5500 off my Onyx RIP - it's difficult to find people that have the same setup as you, with similar problems. Our final output is on the HP printers, as opposed to a press.... which is nice for me! But not everyone has the same issues.....

Jon

Hey all,

I appreciate all of the help very much, I tried adding the new media as suggested for the 7.1 version and it still installed a virtual printer vs. a RIP queue printer. Unfortunately, my time with this company is probably over as I write this but I would still like to find out if anyone has ever come across this problem. Was going to check out his add/remove programs and see if I did something there and it showed a complete 7.0 and a seperate 7.1, both at 948 mb which seemed very odd. Maybe they are combating each other.

Regardless, I didn't accomplish my task and had to leave it for the next person as is.

If anyone has any ideas re: Onyx training vs just the manual I would love to hear from you.

Thanks so much.

Laura

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back