Cs6?

kevinphila

Ok so they are on CS 5.5. I have CS5 and I don't want to waste any money if CS6 is coming out in 2012. I heard that rumor.... is it true?

Thanks
Kev

Adobe Creative Cloud and Adobe Creative Suite: New Choices for Customers (Adobe Featured Blogs)

For customers who prefer to remain on the current licensing model, we will continue to offer our individual point products and Adobe Creative Suite editions as perpetual licenses. With regards to upgrades, we are changing our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers are not yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through December 31, 2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we release CS6.

Adobe are currently holding a 20% off upgrade plan to get users onto the latest version (CS 5 or 5.5), so that they can upgrade to CS6 when it is released without having to pay full price.

Stephen Marsh

Adobe Creative Cloud and Adobe Creative Suite: New Choices for Customers (Adobe Featured Blogs)

Adobe are currently holding a 20% off upgrade plan to get users onto the latest version (CS 5 or 5.5), so that they can upgrade to CS6 when it is released without having to pay full price.

Stephen Marsh

ughhh... I'm in the same boat and am wondering what to do as well. I'm using CS3 to design trade fair booth display graphics and it works JUST FINE, until I need to work with someone using CS4 or 5/5.5. I can usually get them to backsave down, but it can slow things down. I don't want to pay for 5.5 and the a few months later have to pay to upgrade to 6. I just with they would release 6! Does anyone know when in 2012 it will be released? I sense they are delaying it. :(
update: April 2012 and still waiting for CS6? i don't want to get, install, and debug 5.5 just to have to do the same with 6 a month or two later. And by the way, is it just me or is the adobe website running painfully slow lately...

Last edited:
Hi STP,

If you don't mind the additional $$, you could add upgrade assurance (or whatever Adobe calls it) when buying 5.5 so that when 6 comes out, you can get it for "free".

EDIT: I was a happy CS5 user until learning that 5 could not open 5.5 files so I had no choice but to upgrade as many of my customers upgraded....was NOT a happy camper!

Best regards,
Jon

Last edited:
I just finally had the "talk" with my boss about 3 years ago. I told him that EEEBIL Quark and Creative Suite would upgrade every 18 months. As a company that takes in other's files, we MUST buy them. No questions. So, I told him that I would walk out the door if I ever had to play the game of waiting for them again. All it does is to put prepress at a disadvantage. Instead of learning the product and getting the bugs squared away...we wait UNTIL the day that someone shows up with a "new" CS X.X file! Oh joy. Since that day, I have been able to adopt on day one. Just for the record. Even though I have permission to get Q9, I have not exercised that option. I might even go so far as to tell anyone that sends me a Q9 file to downgrade it. It has been out what, 6 months?? Not ONE file has come in Q9. In fact, maybe I could offer an incentive to my clients to move to Indd??

ughhh... I'm in the same boat. I don't want to pay for 5.5 and the a few months later have to pay to upgrade to 6. I just with they would release 6! Does anyone know when in 2012 it will be released? I sense they are delaying it. :(

STP, are you on CS5? If so, simply pay the upgrade price for CS6 when it is released.

If you are on CS4 or earlier, you have two choices if you wish to go on using Adobe software with you current "perpetual" licensing:

i) Pay the current 20% off discount upgrade fee to upgrade to CS5.5. When CS6 is released next year (1st quarter sometime?) - then pay the upgrade fee to CS6. Do the math, add up the cost of both smaller upgrade fees vs. paying full price.

ii) Pay full price to move from CS4 or earlier to CS6.

I guess that the third option is to no longer upgrade your "perpetual" license and use Adobe's new cloud licensing and pay per month (again, do the math).

The fourth "option" is to ditch Adobe software and use something else (at this point in time, not a good option for service providers who handle native Adobe files!).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Between the announcement of CS6 and actual shipping dates Adobe usually allows about a one month grace period during which purchasing or upgrading to CS5.5 would qualify you for a free upgrade to CS6. In reality the CS5.5 boxes will disappear from the retailers within a week or so, and there is no guarantee Adobe will continue the policy with CS6. If you don't need the features of CS5.5 and are willing to gamble on previous policy then this would be a third option.:confused::cool:

Adobe has tiered pricing on their upgrades based upon the version you are upgrading from. An upgrade from 5 to 5.5 and then to 6 will cost about the same, maybe a little less than the upgrade from 5 to 6. It used to pay to skip a version or two but not anymore.

From what I've seen on the Adobe website, they are going to start a policy whereby you can only pay upgrade price from the last issued version, all others pay full price. Looks like they're trying to steer people toward their subscription service, but from what's on the forums, that service is full of headaches, people getting dropped or can't use the service, et.

I spoke with an Abode Rep about the same issue and I was assured that Adobe's policy is to reward those who upgrade as the upgrades become available. I was told that the least costly path to upgrade will always be upgrade as the upgrades become available.

We have CS5. To simplify, I asked the Adobe Rep if it would save me money if I waited upgrade to CS6 instead of upgrading to CS5.5 then CS6. Again, I was assured that it would cost less to upgrade from CS5 to CS5.5 then upgrade CS6.

Now, Adobe pissed off those whom rushed to upgrade at the end of 2011... I doubt they will give "deeper" offers to those upgrading from CS3-4. They really need to admit and apologized for the dumb decision earlier.

I think it is funny how people are writing Quark off as a dying dinosaur, but it is Adobe making all the silly mistakes lately with mobile Flash, unaffordable DPS, and unreal pricing upgrade path [prior to this correction].

Time will tell how well CS6 will be received. If it is anything like CS4 to CS5... then they are in trouble.

CS4 was the last version that was targeted for Print we must assume as they wrote of the ASP and AASP programmes just before releasing CS5. There have been things on the Print wish list for years that have not been implemented :( still I'm hoping to get my hands on a pre-release so I can be up to date and have tested it before it's released.

For the print world I guess we are to assume that we are to interface with PDFx1 and/or PDFx4. There will be customers needing help creating print ready PDF's especially since the ICC-profiles preconfigured are not the best. I do hope that Adobe will listen and at least have the preconfigured workflows with reasonable profiles this time. (And some better preflight in illustrator and PhotoShop with a separations and TAC like Acrobat and Indesign, and possibly the flexo spook warning... nice to see Phantasm fixed that on their latest update)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back