Envelope Printing Options?

printfun

We are looking for a way to print 1 color on small envelopes. We print an address on envelopes (no variable data) in short runs, usually about 100 to 200 pcs. We've tried the inkjet (mailing house) machines but the quality isn't good enough. We also own the laser envelope system from PSI but it goes through fusers about every 8000 impressions (don't get me started on this..... it has been a battle). So the only other solution that comes to mind is a 1 color offset press and some sort of digital platemaker (I've read that HP has a printer that would work).

Can somebody tell me if this would even be feasible? Printing short 100 pcs envelope runs on an offset press sounds miserable, but then again, we've never done it so maybe it would work? We would be running the same set up every time, just a different address after each 100 pcs or so.

thanks!

i printed 1000 envelopes single color on HP laserjet 1200 easily in couple of hours
envelope size was C6

A small offset press would perform well but the process of plating might pose an issue for such small quantities. As long as you're running the same color there would be little to setup on the press for each run other than changing the plate. HP does have a laser printer that you can use to produce paper plates but from what I've heard it's garbage. You might be better off purchasing something like the Xante Platemaker which also produces laser plates and depending on your artwork (halftones etc.) might be okay for an entry level device. You might also look into VIM's inkjet plate printer. It uses a standard Epson inkjet device off the shelf combined with a RIP and their plates to produce good quality plates. If you're only printing 100 per plate though it might not be able to keep up with the press if you're running constantly.

Another option perhaps would be to look at a digital duplicator like the Risograph which produces a master (similar idea to a plate on press) with a laser. Quality is not great however. They have also come out with a full color digital inkjet device that seems to print decent quality at the best quality setting. It's the Riso Com Color.

What I wish someone would create is an inkjet printer similar to those used by the mail houses for addressing but with a 13" wide printhead that would allow one to process at production speeds as the printhead would be stationary. Similar to the newest inkjet presses by Screen and Fuji in the B2 format, that would print on a wide variety of substrates at decent speeds.

Hi, for quanities as you said, wouldn't a good quality rubber stamp suffice?
No plates, just a steady hand. No chemicals etc.

In our experience envelopes are very varying in handling. Some manufacture/model/batch can be very hard to print on. (we use a 2-colour heidelberg GTO, think the second hand market for 1 or 2 colour presses should be good, hard part will be finding a skilled operator).

Problems we face are:
envelopes not all same size.
since the envelope is anything from 1 layer to 4 layers of paper (window envelopes can even be 5 layers substrate if you inculde the window) you will have a battle against thickness.
Types of envelopes may vary in where you can grip them, depending on envelope design and intended printed design.

Be prepared for a long road and some trial and error, allow enough delivery time when promising orders so that you can try alternative strategies.

What is involved in changing a plate on a one color press? We've never done any offset so I honestly don't even know how long it would take.

To change a plate on a offset press takes about 30 seconds. It is very easy. For runs of 100 or 200 envelopes it will take about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to run on an offset once set up. You can buy a very inexpensive (as plate makers go) laser imaged plate system used and you can pickup a used Multi or Ryobi press for next to nothing if you shop, then your in business. With a little common sense and have someone show you the basics you can be running in 1 day. You can be producing sellable envelopes quickly and not have paid a fortune. And as stated above, digitally there are alot of options also. But, if you want a dependable machine, no click charges, will run for years with no service calls, look at offset. My 2 cents worth.

Short Run Envelopes

Short Run Envelopes

A digital duplicator such as the Riso is probably the easiest way to handle short run single color envelopes. However, having already made the investment in a PSI Envelope Press, you may find that living with the fuser replacement cycle (cost issue), may be more cost effective than spending another $20k for a duplicator (unless overall volumes are huge!!!).

Dave

I have 2 used ABDick presses we used to print envelopes with. They have t-Heads and all they will need is an envelope feeder. We used them and converted over to RISO inkjets and no longer use them. Can sell them for $3500 for the pair or $2000 each.(US). You can run Xante plastic plates also as they come with th eplate punch.

go with what JDuffy said or look around for a halm jet press, they are specifically designed for envelopes, mainly longer runs though

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back