Heidelberg linotype-hell 3010

photo_genie

Looking for some info on this scanner. Has anyone used one and how long has it been around? Don't know much about drum scanners and so would appreciate whatever info you can offer. Thx.

We have one here. Top notch scanner. It was installed back in 1989 and is still running fine (when we actually get transparencies in that is). It uses a PMT (photo-multiplier tube) that is highly sensitive to light, and therefore has a much higher dynamic range than most ccd scanners. This series is up there with the best scanners ever made in my opinion. Are you looking to purchase one, inherit one...did you find one in the dumpster?

Heidelberg linotype-hell 3010

Wow, I'd like to find one in the dumpster! No I ran across someone who is looking to trade it for some camera gear I'm not using at this time. They said they have all three drums and the drives for them. I still shoot medium format film. I have a Leafscan 4x5 to scan my negs. presently, but this intrigued me. Not knowing much about it, I thought I would check it out before giving away the farm:) Sounds like it's a great machine, but i'm not sure it would be any better than my Leaf, other than the fact it is a drum scanner.

Ask any electronics hobbyist about best quality audio amplifiers ever made he will immediately say electron tubes. Ask me about the finest scanner, it's the Crosfield Magnascan /Celsis - one of the finest pieces of engineering I've ever seen in 15 years of prepress. Drum scanners are a different breed from CCD machines, there's no CCD sensor to even remotely compare with PMT in terms of accuracy and dynamic range. A friend of mine has two magnascan 656 machines in his shop, their keyboard keys eroded a few millimeters like antique typewriters and still working fine. Amazing.

photo_genie, the best person to answer any questions you have about the S3010 is Mark Tonkovich. He is also a member of this forum and works for Heidelberg. You can trace his ancestry in the company back to the Hell Graphic Systems days.

PrintPlanet.com - View Profile: marktonk

Be sure to determine from the current S3010 owner what software revision is installed. A Linotype-Hell-Heidelberg software revision below 11 is pretty bad news. There are several add-on software packages as well. Heidelberg discontinued it's scanner product line a few years back and probably their service and support for legacy models as well.

After you know what's installed on the S3010 you could contact Mark and find out what kind of support (if any) exists for the S3010 (hardware and software). Mark has been around the business a long time and should be able to help you determine if the S3010 is worth your while or even suits your needs. I retired in 2001 and therefore cannot help much with more current concerns.

I was an Instructor with Linotype-Hell and delivered lots of training on the S3010 and the subsequent models S3800, S3500, S3700 and S3900. During it's hay-day, I always felt comfortable that Linotype-Hell made the best drum scanners available.
You'll also need some training, hopefully provided by the S3010s current owner(Linotype-Hell charged $1500.00 a day for my services back in the mid 1990s).

The S3010 is the oldest model in the line. It sported a variable aperture, whereas the newer models used an aperture wheel with only a fixed number of apertures. The S3010 looks a little different than the newer models, It is also mechanically and electrically different. Being that the S3010 is about 20 years old, spare parts and service cannot be overlooked, along with a through test drive.

Good luck to you.

A good point made...training is something to consider as this is not a device you just plug and use. Speaking of plugging in, German designed electronics will have different electrical requirements. You will likely need an electrician. Best to have one familiar with the scanner. I know a former Heidelberg tech that can handle the install and maintenance. Let me know if you need contact info.

Scanner tech who can service linotype 3010 and 3400

Scanner tech who can service linotype 3010 and 3400

Meddington I saw that you know of a person who can service linotype machines. Do you know anyone in Los Angeles?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back