Help with PDF

J

I hope you can help me with this. A book with photographs and watercolour illustrations to be printed on 280 x 210 mm format has been sent to the printer in PDF. The page trim area on all PDF's has been set to 200mm and the bleeds have been set to 2mm not 5mm. How can this be fixed?

J

If the content is not clipped beyond boxes, than you can resize bleed box to 5 mm.
You can use action to set bleed objects close to edge to bleed but sometimes it does not work the best so you might have to manually do it by enlarging clipping paths, etc..
How many pages is book?

Last edited:
Easily done in Acrobat's "Crop Pages" dialogue. You can specify a new size for the pages, and that size can be larger or smaller.

Quite Imposing

Quite Imposing

Buy a copy of Quite Imposing Plus 3.
It's a plugin for Acrobat that has a wide array of tools.

You can adjust the page size (with or without scaling) and define bleeds.
You'll get a new pdf at your desired page size, with crops and bleeds you defined.

What ? Of course you can decrease or increase to document size !

What ? Of course you can decrease or increase to document size !

I've never been able to use Acrobat Pro's cropping feature to reduce the size of the document.

That is what the crop tool offers - a way to adjust the bleedbox and trimbox - enlarge or reduce - Matt - did you mean to say "enlarge" the size of the document ?

Is it at all possible that you just never happened to use the - Change Page Size - Custom ?

I think we have been able to do this since version 3 of Adobe Acrobat

I have found that the best tool for doing this sort of corrections is Enfocus Pitstop. But if there is no image beyond the existing crop short bleeds, then the only other things to do are

1) go back to the client and have them add to the bleeds, change the file size and resupply. (I take it that you are sent finished pdf's)
2) Talk to the client, explain the problem and ask them if they require you to put their files right. If thats the case, then you can do that.

In my personal experience, it is never wise to touch someone else's files without their permission. Over
here on the other side of the world, if you do, then it is often used against your company if the client doesn't like something you've done, and "financial compensation" is bandied waved in the air (particularly if the customer wants to get out of paying his bill!) I have found that mostly the folks on the front end (ie the designers etc) are not always as print-wise as they claim.

that's true katjt, but I have also found it's easier to just do the work (if it's not too time-consuming) and proof it back to the client with an explanation, than to give them a lesson in Printing 101.

Mike, I made another typo. I meant that I have never been able to change the page size to a larger size.

hi

hi

I dont know if the trims are set wrong or the page is lacking actual size? ie is the wrong file dimensions to crop? Using the crop pages tool under "Document-->Crop Pages" you can adjust what you view of the page, but you cant make additonal artwork... sometimes with the wireframe view of the job you an delete the crop box and release the masking on some bleed.. but I would go back for a correct file.

Post the file up and people can attempt to fix it for you

I don't know if you are working in a system like prinergy/preps and are located in a situation where the presses are, or if you are doing digital print. In Prinergy workshop for example, when chucking the files
into the imposition with their offsets, I used to work out the percentage of how much bigger the files have to grow, then set in the correct page size, workout the new offset figure, and then vps the whole thing to see how it looked - then send it off to the client for approval. That way I did not have to actually touch the files. Otherwise I was responsible for any mess up if I touched them. It just makes things, say a few percents bigger, and sometimes the client is happy with that. I have not worked with any of the other progs like Apogee having been at the same place for the last 15 years, so I can't say if the same thing would work. But it used to save me a whole heap of time and hair pulling-out.

Pitstop - the greatest editing tool I ever came across

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back