How to understand Prepress CS4

elazar

Hi,
I'm new to this Forum. I am a graphic designer and have been working with Adobe programs for a long time now. I've recently upgraded to CS4 and am having issues exporting appropriate files to be sent to the printer.

Can someone suggest or point me in the right direction as to how to learn prepress properly. Or what file type output to PDF to use from, let's say InDesign. I am particularly having issuses with my 2 color documents.

I am confused. Maybe there were other threads on this topic and someone can suggest. Or give me some help.

Thanks in advance.

PDF/x is your best bet.

If you choose not to go PDF/x (don't know why you would, but....) USE the preflight tools in Acrobat Pro to preflight your PDFs out of INDD. Then you will know your files are correct before sending to a printer.
Hope this helps.
Vee

I agree with Vee, just to expand, make sure you are outputting PDF/X4. That way your transparencies will stay intact and your up to date printer will thank you.
It's also wise to contact your printer and ask for guideline on what they prefer, what profile, etc..

Pdf/x-4

Pdf/x-4

Zoran,

PDF/X-4 is great with transparency as long as the printer you're going to has an Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE) RIP or a RIP with the last version of Level 3 Postscript. However, I think that the majority of printers are still dealing with Level 2 PS RIPs which don't understand transparency and can't deal with it.

Unless you KNOW your printer's RIP can handle things like transparency and RGB color, you should use PDF/X-1a. PDF/X-1a ensures that transparency is flattened, and converts all colors to CMYK and spot colors.

Don't use InDesign CS4 to output

Don't use InDesign CS4 to output

We have problem to use InDesign CS4 to output PDF. Some images or vector arts got drop off randomly when you output a PDF from InDesign CS4. Same file opened in CS3 and have no problem to output. It's been a known issue from Adobe and they are willing to let us down grade back to CS3 from our CS4 license!

Zoran,

PDF/X-4 is great with transparency as long as the printer you're going to has an Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE) RIP or a RIP with the last version of Level 3 Postscript. However, I think that the majority of printers are still dealing with Level 2 PS RIPs which don't understand transparency and can't deal with it.

Unless you KNOW your printer's RIP can handle things like transparency and RGB color, you should use PDF/X-1a. PDF/X-1a ensures that transparency is flattened, and converts all colors to CMYK and spot colors.

John, I somewhat agree with you, but If you read my post carefully, you would have noticed that I mentioned "Up to date Printer" and "talk to your printer before".

That being said, I still believe that PDF/X4 is more universal way of dealing with multiple printers.
If printer has up to date workflow/rip, they will love PDF/X4, if printer has outdated workflow/rip, it is just as easy to flatten transparencies and make PDF/X-1a in Acrobat prior to rip/output.

So,when you export to pdf/x1a,you don't have to worry where your job will be outputted,CPSI or APE the rip will take it as it comes!
Just double check the flattened file,before shipping it to your printer!
;)

So,when you export to pdf/x1a,you don't have to worry where your job will be outputted,CPSI or APE the rip will take it as it comes!
Just double check the flattened file,before shipping it to your printer!
;)

NO - that is simply not true!

Even with PDF/X-1a, you STILL need a PDF/X compliant RIP in order to ensure that the file is processed according to the rules/requirements of PDF/X...

The only problem with flattening before sending to the printer is trapping of items that interact with transparency. If the files are flattened, it could get ugly. Although if they are layered your printer must have trapping application capable of handling the transparent items that might be present.

So the bottom line is to call the printer first. If they ask for unflattened files, go x/4, for flattened files go x1a. Either way - like said off the bat, use one of the PDF/x formats and you will be in good shape.

NO - that is simply not true!

Even with PDF/X-1a, you STILL need a PDF/X compliant RIP in order to ensure that the file is processed according to the rules/requirements of PDF/X...

You're right,but judging from what i'm talking with old colleagues in various kinds of shops(printers,magazines,service bureaus) all of them are in pdf/x1a mode,not sure if their rips can handle live transparency(mine doesn't),but they sure don't take advantage of that!

Some of them,don't even allow the customers to come up with anything else(ps,eps) that's why i suggested the pdf/x1a file!

:)

I have to agree with motormount, while Leonard IS the expert. As long as Time-Warner still requires x-1a for ad submissions, and printers are not forced to get newer RIPs, you'll be safer with x-1a.

Again, I've got a couple of clients who are using APPE and it is abso-fraking-lutely fabulous. Very few problems and PDF/X-4 runs through them smoothly to plate. But the entire industry isn't there yet and we always have to keep that in mind.

I'm teaching my students that they should consult their printer, they should use PDF/X-4 if it is an option, but for their TODAY assignments I'm still asking for PDF/X-1a. I feel an obligation to teach them how to create a file that will print using x1-a. If they can do that, X-4 will be even easier for them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back