How We Can Enchance Knowledge

Is knowledge needed in our mature industry?

I truly hope so.

However, counting on Benny is an eerie proposition, don't you all think?

D

How we can enhance our theoretical knowledge about printing technology.?

Interesting question and one that is full of traps.

There are many forms of knowledge. There is knowledge that is based on experience and there is knowledge based on theory and there is knowledge based on a combination of both. This is related to the difference between science and technology. They are not the same thing.

There is also knowledge that is based on invalid theoretical view points which if believed, can hold back innovation for decades.

The printing industry has a lot of practical knowledge based on experience which can be very helpful for users. The knowledge needed for innovation needs to be mostly theoretical if it is to make significant improvements. One could make improvements with trial and error methods but this is a very costly approach. One could make improvements by applying known engineering solutions (technology) to existing problems, which does help but it does not tend to solve the fundamental problem but only copes with it.

The application of a technology does not mean that the fundamental science of the problem is known. Closed loop colour control is an example of a technology being applied by engineers that don't understand the fundamental causes of colour variation.

If your question really does relate to theoretical knowledge as opposed to general knowledge about printing methods and technology, then there is a serious problem. The printing industry does not have a good source of valid theoretical knowledge. There are associations such as TAGA and Iarigai, plus the graphic arts related institutions but all of those groups are mostly interested in technology and have had a very poor track record of actually understanding fundamental problems and solving them. They can't explain the simple problems and I have a strong belief that they don't really understand the more difficult problems even though they try to make their work look scientific. Their work usually lacks predictability.

People in these groups might think they are doing science but if asked to actually make an improvement to the process based on their work, I doubt they would be able to do much. The only area that I see as being able to develop new innovations are the engineers designing new ink jet technologies, etc., which is based on more valid theoretical knowledge that has been used to advance these technologies.

So if in fact you really do want theoretical knowledge then you have a problem. My guess is that about half the theoretical type of literature in the printing industry is wrong or basically useless. You already have to know what is true to know which half is the good stuff.

The printing industry is a technology driven industry and not a science driven industry even if people think there is a lot of science supporting it.

Good luck in you efforts to increase your knowledge.

Experienced is the best ingredient, in my opinion. And when you have the experience this is but half the vehicle to transfer knowledge.

Many people have much insecurity and lack the confidence to share their experience ('s) with others. So as can be seen, it takes two entities in order to enhance knowledge. Print Planet is an excellent place to exercise both of the requirements. Although as previously stated, everything is not all factual here and separating the truth from the misconceptions is an art that takes practice. This is where experience, the king of knowledge comes into play.

As you can see, everything is bonded together at 360 degrees which makes the circle of education, life and knowledge.

D Ink Man

This reminded me of a couple of my favorite quotes from Will Rogers . . .

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

and

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

other insightful quotes are here:

Will Rogers Quotes - BrainyQuote

what knowledge you need depends on the system you are using... are you up-to-date? or are you behind? Where you are will gage the knowledge you need.

Some people believe that if they share their experience or knowledge with his colleagues it can harm their selves.
What I have studied in my college is only how the procedures are working,
I want to go in depth.

Last edited:
expanding experience is not the ordinary companies and cant afford the all facilities or latest technology.
here on print planet people only share their specific problems and find solutions. This is not too helpful to acquire knowledge. I am finding a source where people can learn according to topics.
Gordos Blog is helpful but not too helpful for beginners.

Gordo . . .

I think it might be a case of you have to know enough to ask the right questions or understand the answers . . .

Personally I wouldn't know enough about the subject of nuclear engineering or disk drive design to ask an intelligent question . . .

Try to explain stochastic screening to a carpenter . . . :)

You can add some basic articles and some history of evolution of printing.

There's plenty of historical content e.g. The Print Guide: The Way Back View

The blog was intended to provide information that was not readily available elsewhere - and much of it is pretty basic stuff (screen angles, color perception etc)
Anyhow, I doubt I'll be posting much to my blog anymore due to a complete lack of support from the print community. I've done what I intended to do for myself.

due to a complete lack of support from the print community.

That's a negatory, unless it's only my IP that's showing up in the logs. I reference it quite a bit. Check your inbox, bro. Thanks for sharing!

That's a negatory, unless it's only my IP that's showing up in the logs. I reference it quite a bit. Check your inbox, bro. Thanks for sharing!

Are you paying for the information? I believe that is what Gordon means by support.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back