InDesign - Do Not Include Profiles

lnivin

Our current workflow has exported PDFs from InDesign - Output - No Color Conversion and Do Not Include Profiles. (Our Workspace is GRACoL2006_Coated1v2.icc.)

This PDF goes to Prinergy which has Color Convert turned off.

How does Prinergy know how to process this file and what colorspace to use?

Is this a common workflow?

try exporting an rgb image from indesign and preview the result with prinergy colour convert turned on and off

Our current setup is to fail on RGB. We then convert to CMYK in Photoshop and resend.

To get an RGB to go through Prinergy it has to convert to a profile.

let prinergy convert the rgb, it will do the same thing photoshop will, just choose the conversion profile you want to use, just do a couple of tests and preview it on screen, thats what the convert part of prinergy is for, saves you time.

What I really want to know is this a "normal" workflow - if there is such a thing. Previous workplaces had a profile being attached during Refine.

are you printing to a spec, iso, gracol, etc? thats when you need to decide what settings to put in prinergy. CMYK will just run through the rip untouched unless you are using a CMYK link profile, the only time the rip will convert is when it sees and RGB image and convert to the specified profile, ie isocoated, swop etc, so i can see why the previous places had a profile attached during refine, to deal with RGB, if you dont color manage an rgb image it comes out terrible.

Currently we are converting all RGBs in Photoshop, prior to Prinergy.

Just got out of a color meeting and this is the thought process -
Out of InDesign all Profiles are stripped out so we have "raw" files.
Plater runs raw files with a plating curve to bring everything into G7 methodology. If Profile is added prior to plate, the curve (which was built on "raw" files) flattens color.
It appears to me we either need to continue as is, or rebuild a plate curve using GRACoL2006 profile on files. Would rebuilding be wiser?
We believe we get a little more gamut with raw files.
Proofer applies GRACoL2006.

Last edited:
It really depends on what you're trying to do. Do you want your proofs and print to match each other?

If your proof is made to Gracol 2006, then your plates will have to be made with that profile and press work will have to be ran accordingly also won't it?

Is your proof verified that it is meeting G7? Is your press running to G7, meaning have you determined what density to run on press to meet the G7 solid L*a*b* colors?

Asking these questions might give you an answer as to why your print is flat compared to the proof. If you want the two of them to match, they need to be made the same way, unless you want to print to a custom profile to match your press. I would recommend going with G7, gray balance and a high GCR setting based on what it's done for us here. Quicker to color on press, less variation, ink savings.

Reading the "G7 for Creatives and Print Buyers" from IDEAlliance, (my interpretation of what it's telling me) . . .

Our sheetfed presses are set to print within the G7 specifications using our current plate curve. Using GRACoL2006 profile on scanners, monitors, and proofers will set the printing "condition" on all. The files going to Prinergy can have the profiles removed (because who knows what the customer of the hour is using) and refined and the plate curve will bring everything into the G7 specifications.

If designers want to be accurate with the color in their files, they need to have their workspace as GRACol2006, as we also have our computers, scanners and proofer set to GRACoL2006.

Have I got it?

Reading the "G7 for Creatives and Print Buyers" from IDEAlliance, (my interpretation of what it's telling me) . . .

Our sheetfed presses are set to print within the G7 specifications using our current plate curve. Using GRACoL2006 profile on scanners, monitors, and proofers will set the printing "condition" on all. The files going to Prinergy can have the profiles removed (because who knows what the customer of the hour is using) and refined and the plate curve will bring everything into the G7 specifications.

If designers want to be accurate with the color in their files, they need to have their workspace as GRACol2006, as we also have our computers, scanners and proofer set to GRACoL2006.

Have I got it?

Basically, yes, you have this right - all except the most important thing…

Your press condition. Are you actually printing to GRACoL?

If you separate and proof to GRACoL, but print to something else…

G7 is a calibration method that can be used to reach GRACoL, or a custom house condition.

This is why in a different topic thread I asked for the measurement data or the ICC profile created when you fingerprinted your press with the IT8.7-4 chart, and why I also asked how you verify/ensure that what you are printing today is within tolerance to what you printed when you were setup for G7.

Stephen Marsh

I was able to find that our presses were calibrated to GRACoLl2006. We don't have ICC profiles of the presses. The presses have been checked and are within tolerance of what we printed for G7.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back