Ink smearing issues with iJet NXT.

Dmiller35

We recently purchased an iJet NXT after having a Mach 5 for the past 5 or 6 years.
Recently we've been running into issues where the ink smears on certain stocks that the Mach 5 didn't necessarily have an issue with.
It's only an issue when it's inside the machine because once it's on the conveyor, enough time has passed and the ink is dry.
Has anyone else had this issue? FYI, the NXT is essentially a Mach 6.

As I am not familiar with the sheet path on this press, do you know what is causing the smearing, i.e. friction from wheels or other moving parts. We specialize in anti-marking/smearing and anti-static/friction and anti-wear materials in many types of printing sectors (sheetfed, web, highspeed digital web, etc.) and would be glad to assist in trying to solve your issue. www.shinoda-usa.com

Thank you for your reply but I'm not sure you can help. But to answer your question, the smearing does seem to come from the wheels that are right after the printhead.

We recently purchased an iJet NXT after having a Mach 5 for the past 5 or 6 years.
Recently we've been running into issues where the ink smears on certain stocks that the Mach 5 didn't necessarily have an issue with.
It's only an issue when it's inside the machine because once it's on the conveyor, enough time has passed and the ink is dry.
I had that problem on a numbering machine. It was caused by an exit wheel right behind the numbering head. Can you adjust the wheels so it's not inline with the image?
Also, I am thinking about getting an iJet. The salesmen in my area seem to prefer the Formax ColorMax8c or the Mach 6. Most likely it has to do with the price - after all, they are salesmen and want to have the lowest proposal. I'm looking for the best investment, of course. Since you've had the Mach 5, what's your opinion between that and the iJet?

The main reason we went with the iJet over Mach 6 was the software. We had the MColor RIP that we got with the Mach5 but it was difficult to use and we only used it when matching spot colors. When printing directly we would sometimes have color issues but the main issue was when we needed to print more than 999 of something. Not sure if it was an Acrobat or Windows issue but the max copies you could print was 999. The software on the NXT is similar to the MColor Rip on the Mach5 but has a more user-friendly interface. There also may be some slight mechanical or machine software differences between the different brands.

The rollers in question though can't be moved. They're locked in place. There are similar "rollers" on the Mach5 but they're very thin, spiked metal things vs 0.5" wide plastic rollers.

Yes I have had the same issue. When calling printware about it they say about 20% of envelope stocks won't run well on the machine. Did not hear about this until after we purchased the machine. Just like you are supposed to run at least 25-100 envelopes per day on the machine. If I know I am not gonna print for a couple of days I remove the printhead. Or else that $600 print head will
be toast. Anybody know to resurrect a clogged print head beside wasting tons of ink on printhead cleanings?

Yes I have had the same issue. When calling printware about it they say about 20% of envelope stocks won't run well on the machine. Did not hear about this until after we purchased the machine. Just like you are supposed to run at least 25-100 envelopes per day on the machine. If I know I am not gonna print for a couple of days I remove the printhead. Or else that $600 print head will
be toast. Anybody know to resurrect a clogged print head beside wasting tons of ink on printhead cleanings?
Yeah, good to know that info before purchasing! Sorry you didn't. I am looking to get one myself. Do they tell you what that 20% is and why? Can you print on the window itself with that? I understand some ink jet envelope printers claim you can.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back