Introduce yourself!

hi, i am a director of Crestar Printers and Publishers,a commercial printing company in south africa, i do all prepress as well as have used most of the other equipment. we have multiple presses in the b2 and b3 format and will be upgrading soon to a larger format presses. we have mac and pc workstations, ctp from heidelberg, as well as a stahl folder, eurobinder, polar guillotine, saddle stitcher, hot lamination, paper drills, wire binders and specialized bindery,etc. we aim to do good quality work as quickly as possible, so far so good.

Hello Everyone,

I am Harbeer from Delhi, India. I am itno this industry from the past 7 yrs. but after going through some of the topics covered on this site actually made me realise that I actually do not know anything in print line. I am a print broker and hence I am not into the technicalities. Would like suggestions from my seniors in this trade to let me know where to start off to learn the basics of printing to the whole lot.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Harbeer

Hi All,

I Am Arunoday,Engineer in Printing Technology and have been industry more than a decade,presently working in Publishing industry to look after standardization of process ...i am happy to share my experience .
Have blast all the day !!!
Thanks,
Arunoday

Introduce Yourself!

Introduce Yourself!

Hi, its 162Lehi09 here and I am based in beautiful Pennsylvania, Always been a printer before and after college. Makes home in Benny's state and have 3 boys. Me and my wife have our hands full with them and the shop. We print almost all kinds of things: from large format architectural plans to wide format posters. We also print offset, letterpress and digital (cannonpress), imprinting on pens, pencils, etc and silk screen. We added hot foil stamping this September.

I guess that things were better like before. Our industry is like a taxi business that waked up one day with passengers demanding Lexuses, Mercedes and Lincolns; instead of our reliable Crown Vics, Caprices and LTDs. The lower the prices, the heavier we invest in new technology and more dollars, chasing tickets, flyers, booklets, magazines, postcards, etc. In fact, we are now investigating whether to get a Presstek 52DI or a traditional GTO 52-4c. Our Kimoto get rid of our darkroom and silvermaster platemaker.

Looking to interact in a lively discussion with fellow members of Print Planet. Hello to all.

Savick

Savick

Lavoro come operatore Mac nel settore PrePress da 20 anni, i primi 8 anni come montaggista (pellicole).

Job like operator Mac in the PrePress field from 20 years, the first 8 years like montaggista (films).

Abito e lavoro in Italia, nella citta di Reggio Emilia, abbiamo 3 postazioni Mac con la Suite CS4 e 3 chiavi di ArtPro.

Dress and job in Italy, in the city of Reggio Emilia, we have 3 emplacements Mac with Suite CS4 and 3 keys of ArtPro.

La mia ditta fa packaging ed è Leader in Europa, lascio la traduzione italiano-inglese di quanto scrivo ad un widget.

My company makes packaging and is Leader in Europe, leaves the translation Italian-English than I write to a widget.

Il flusso di lavoro viene gestito da Apogee dell'Agfa, il CTP è l'Excalibur sempre Agfa.

The job flow is managed by Apogee of the Agfa, the CTP is the Excalibur always Agfa.

Sono sposato ed ho una figlia di 2 anni, nel mio tempo libero gioco a pallavolo, faccio fotografie e montaggi video della mia famiglia con "Final Cut Pro".

They are married and I have a daughter 2-year-old, in my free time game to volleyball, make photographies and assemblys video of my family with “Final Cut For”.

Introduction

Introduction

Hi,

My Name is Juan Noboa, I am new in this industry and that is one of the main reason why I register in this forum to get more information in regards to printing equipment.

thanks,

Juan Noboa

Hi! I'm Tobias and I'm a software engineer. My daytime job consists of keeping the always-hungry HP Indigo printfarm I manage fed and happy. I'm not an operator; i'm the software engineer that builds, supports and manages the complete web-to-print software in front of the RIP's (so basically our customers build their own book/photobook/whatever on the side, click order, pay it, and it automatically ends up in a job on the press). Usually that means working in PHP and PPML (and I actually wrote a PPML lib for PHP that i'm planning to opensource) with some mySQL and other funky stuff.

I'm also a student at the Twente University here in Holland (Industrial Design Engineering) and love to dive and am an avid photographer.

Hi,
My name s Scot. I've been in the business 27 years and learn something new almost every day. Heidelberg demonstrator in late 80's and early 90's. Spent fifteen years or so after that as a production manager in a UV/Conventional plant. Printing mostly POP displays, plastic cards and packaging, we also did a lot of commercial printing. I'm now a sales/tech rep. for a world famous OEM roller company. If you want to know anything else, just ask.
P.S. I love this site.

Trish;
Thanks for working on the ABC's Extreme Home MakeOver show. My husband and I watch that show every week and cry our eyes out together. IT IS SUCH AN IMPORTANT THING THEY ARE DOING! I even shop at CVS Pharmacy, because they support the show too. Thanks for being such an important part of community.
Peace!!
_mjnc

Old and new

Old and new

Hi guys.
My name is Daniel and i've been in the printing business for 37 years.
Lots of people says that my blood group is PMS 485. :)

I found your web site while looking for information on different machine but I will now post a message in the proper thread.

Thanks in advance.

Hello
My name is Jason Brennan, I am manager of our company which supplies prepress and gravure cylinders for the Europe Market.
I am new to this website so please go easy on me. I am curoius to seewhat probelms and solutions other companies currently experience in these troubled times.
i am married with 2 kids 3yrs and 1 yrs so work is easy for me, looking after kids is the real job

Hello all!
My name is Charles Davis. I started in the screen printing business 25 years ago as a graphic artist and printer. I switched to the newspaper magazine industry about 5 years ago and cannot get enough. I work for a small printshop in Columbia, Missouri currently. We use Apogee X 6.0 and Apogee Portal as our workflow solution. We are currently in the process of researching Ink Save software solutions so I will post in that thread.

I look forward to learning from this community and sharing our own results/tests with others.

tkundhi

tkundhi

I'm Tarun, a technology executive working in the printing industry. Currently I'm the CTO at a 120+ year old printing company that's making a fundamental shift to get out of the commoditized print industry. Our focus is on assisting clients with better, easier and more effective communications. We recently launched a very unique web to print front end application built on open source technologies. From an equipment standpoint we have a variety of presses; web, sheetfed & digital.

From 1/2004 - 8/2009 I was a principal in a startup where I architected and led the deployment of an extremely fast and flexible VDP system that enabled us to produce highly personalized direct mail and get it into the mail stream within 24 hours. This system had the ability to change text, images or the entire layout on a record by record basis.

For the 10 years prior to 2004 I worked in the healthcare industry as an IT and management consultant/executive.

Outside of work, I'm a technology and cool car junkie. I look forward to exchanging ideas and experiences.

Tarun

Joe Blood

Joe Blood

Hi my name is Joe Blood im 18 and im a student at the Careerline Tech Center in Holland Michigan, ive been in printing for 3 years and i absoutly love it
i may be young but ive run a 8-color 40in Heidelburg, normally ill run a 4-color Shinohara half size press... my favorite to use is the little 2-color Itek 3985
im skilled in basic programs such as illustrator, photoshop, indesign, quark express...ect

outside of school im really just a kid i love hanging out, watchin movies, playing videogames, but printing is a real passion for me and id love to make it a career someday

New Printer

New Printer

Hi, I am new to this site and relatively new to printing. Needed a change in life and decided to buy a real small print shop - real small!. Fortunately we have a solid customer base, they are loyal and retention is high. We offer the "low end" offset printing such as business cards, letterhead, carbonless, smaller booklets, forms and the like - nothing real advanced. I still cannot afford a full-time printer but rely on a guy on an as-needed basis. I am still learning...slowly. When jobs come in that are full color or even business cards with raised text - outsource! I never turn down a job. We have 2 AB Dicks, one with T-head and they run real well, an antique letterpress that will never break, new (but used) Baum folder (exceptional performance), new (new but used) Rollem for numbering etc, Itek 430! (on its last legs so I am upgrading to CTP using a HP 5000 for polyester plates).

I really need the advice of folks when it comes to going digital to compliment the offset and other helpful advice to help the business. Have read posts and threads and I see I am not alone in my situation which is comforting. So I hope this is going to be a productive site and will try and offer what I can as well.

Thanks.
Brian

Hay all.

first time caller, long time listener :)

My names Lawson Willett i run one of the leading Print management companies in the UK. With two production sites, online ordering software and masses amounts of storage CBF process hundreds of orders per week digitally and lithographically.

Good to speak to like minded peeps.

Hope to speak to you all soon

Lawson

Hi all!

My name is Birgir Ingimarsson. I work at OPM, Iceland, in the digital department. There we have an Indigo and several small xerox machines. We use Agfa Apogee, Xmpie and other homemade software for our output.

The company has also several heidelberg speedmasters, in various sizes and a big finishing line, which I´m not to familiar with.

Thanx
Birgir

We have been using Apogee for a year now and we recently updated to the newest version.

We are very happy the system. It does exactly what we expected it to.

Birgir

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back