Mimaki CJV30, bugging the jiggery out of me

UK Printer

Morning All,

I've got a Mimaki CJV30 - 160 which we work to death, its a great machine but over the last year we've been suffering from the following issue, i'd love to know if anyone else has seen something similar, if its something i'm doing then i'm all ears and would appreciate your advice.

We run two stocks , self adhesive vinyl 100micron that runs fine, heads at lowest position and we get no problems.

However when we run banner material (same on a couple of stocks from a couple of suppliers) but here's the spec we use: DTEC Frontlit 440gsm

Problem i have is that when its running we get mounds and ripples across the sheet every now and then.

If the heads are run high then where the mounds are we get a band that must be a result of the media been slightly higher than the rest of the sheet.

But if i run the job with the heads at the lowest position the print doesn't band where the ripples are, but then we get random head strikes where the ripples are too high.

I thought it may have been the brackets been broken on the feed roller and the take-up roller, thought it could have been skewing the roll as its going in or taking it off and causing the ripples, but i've just had all four replaced yesterday and we're still getting the problems, no improvement at all.

I've tightened the tension and slackened the tension on the take-up roll and this doesn't improve things either way.

The suction is set to full and this doesn't stop the ripples appearing.

Anyone got any ideas.

One thing i thought, the wheels that guide the roll, i only ever run with the outer two wheels on, if i put the wheels on in the image area then we get wheel lines running through the image, ruins the job, doesn't matter how much or little pressure we apply.

Hopefully someone can help.

All the best

Tim

Please post if you turn the corner on this problem, I have same issue on CJV, mostly on a real stretchy scrim material that seems like the heat plus the pressure from pull out wheels will cause those waves that as they unwind it makes the ripples, also if roll is cupped on ends or out of round or damaged in shipping then it can be a real beast...

i'll keep you posted, no replies yet, but its interesting to know others are having the same bother.

Tim

Just thinking about a HP DesignJet 5000 that I used to use for WF output... Does this Mimaki machine have an auto take-up reel and a media weight? If so, do you use it with the problem media?

Is there a front panel, driver or RIP setting that can change the tension of the roll?

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back