MIS Intergration via JDF

AndyMc

Hi, before I devote too much time trying to get this up and running, does anyone use this and if so what sort of level of automation should I expect?

What product do you plan on integrating JDF with? If it is Backstage or AE10 there are huge opportunities for automation.

Hi AndyMc,

We have made some simple integration between our MIS System and BackStage: We have added a button in the order registration dialog on our MIS system that will send a JDF to a BackStage hotfolder with Information on the customerid, orderno., customers ref.no, and a jobname and some default text.

BackStage will then create a jobfolder using this information. The bonus is of course less risk of faulty data and time saved when creating new jobs.

The challenge so far is that we have a lot of different customers, so it's hard to make a setup that goes for all situations.

Plans for the future will probably include barcode information being passed over and also information going back to the MIS - e.g. invoicing information.

Our MIS didn't have any JDF possibilites out of the box, so we had to write that part ourselves, and I have to say that the documentation from Esko's side is less than perfect, but give it a go anyway!

MIS and JDF

MIS and JDF

Been there done that 4 years ago. It works, if you want to send layout JDf's to Backstage-FastImpose.
Then you have use JDF "Stripping Parameters". Also if your MIS can not produce "Stripping Parameters" take a look at Metrix by LithoTechnics.
On a different subject Esko Apps. work real well in a VM environment, like hyper-V or VMware.

Regards,

Joe Novak

MIS Integration via JDF

MIS Integration via JDF

Hi, before I devote too much time trying to get this up and running, does anyone use this and if so what sort of level of automation should I expect?

We use JDF to communicate with Backstage for JDF job creation. We pass customer info, colors, screening info, job parameters for proofing and screening and barcode info. When a workflow is launched, Backstage has all the info it needs to generate the final deliverables. We have also used JDF for task launching, but to a lesser extent.

It works pretty slick.

Jim

JDF integration with MIS

JDF integration with MIS

Hi!
In our daily working our prepress department use Backstage, our sale department and production are working in MIS. We had to integrate this two system. I did it using JDF.
So what we have now:
1. When manager wants print new label he do new order in his MIS. After he finished complete form of order we create JDF file which create a new Job in Backstage. Which Job has information about manager, order, customer, inks, substrate, type of press and etc.
2. If it is old label and we need only change something, for example text, we use special JDF ticket which looking and copying this file from date base of old files to this Job in Backstage. This file is usual *.AI file, so he become normalize PDF and PSFix.
3. Prepress operator get message in Backstage that new file come and he can work with it (To Do list).
4. When prepress finished, proof file is making automatically. In our company all proofs have FORGA that to verituficate its and information for customers: order number, name, date. And information for us: source profile, destination profile (for it we use report maker and smartname that understand what kind of report we have to use).
5. After it Backstage send information to MIS that prepress is finished and manager have to sing up proof.
6. Iа manager sign up, he use a button in MIS and after it JDF file begin Step and Repeat in Job. We use CAD ticket. So we know information about printing, about substrate and what kind of smartmarks we have to use.
7. After it RIP and we send LEN file to CDI.
10. After we print this order JDF file archive this order.

So manager can see and manage orders in MIS, when prepress working in BackStage. About each step we send information to MIS and if something need to change MIS sent information via JDF to BackStage.

Now we plan to make from of order in our website that our customer can make order in internet, send file and all necessary date, when it make order in MIS and when in BackStage.

SO JDF is very helpfull for integration different databases. It make life of all person easy. And we make our orders in shortly time and minimizes possibility of mistake!
I hope it will help you too.

i am sorry my enlish is now good

Last edited:
We use BackStage version 7. Our MIS is a special programm for Accounting and manadment in my country and not popular in Euroup or America. If your MIS can generate files you can do everything i did and more for my customer.

No it was not 1C. And as i understand for JDF where is not problem with that version of MIS to work.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back