Multiple Pages Pulling with Xerox 550

Piper

I am having issues with multiple page pulls on a Xerox 550. I am using 100lb (148 gsm) Gloss Text 11" x 17" (and 8 1/2" x 11") 2 sided color print. If I just print one copy (30 pages) it usually will print fine. If printing more than one copy the printer will start pulling multiple sheets occasionally. I Fan the daylights out of the paper and it does not help. When I clear a jam there is a large static build up on the paper but not on the sheets in the paper tray. I have tried different trays with the same results. I am setting the printer to Coat 1 but also have tried coat two with the same results. I have spayed the inside of the printer with static eliminator and it has not helped. Some times it will pull four or five sheets at once.

hey, what's the temperature and humidity like in your room with the printer? also, are you using mill-cut sheets or is a printer cutting them down for you?

I am having issues with multiple page pulls on a Xerox 550. I am using 100lb (148 gsm) Gloss Text 11" x 17" (and 8 1/2" x 11") 2 sided color print. If I just print one copy (30 pages) it usually will print fine. If printing more than one copy the printer will start pulling multiple sheets occasionally. I Fan the daylights out of the paper and it does not help. When I clear a jam there is a large static build up on the paper but not on the sheets in the paper tray. I have tried different trays with the same results. I am setting the printer to Coat 1 but also have tried coat two with the same results. I have spayed the inside of the printer with static eliminator and it has not helped. Some times it will pull four or five sheets at once.

Are you running NewPage Futura by chance?

Temperature / Humidity

Temperature / Humidity

hey, what's the temperature and humidity like in your room with the printer? also, are you using mill-cut sheets or is a printer cutting them down for you?

The room is at 71 degrees and the humidity is high. What gets me is I don't think the paper sticking together is the problem, since when I fan it I do not see any sticking or static going on. I would think it was the rollers but we are going from different trays (Including the bypass tray). Though I will admit I really do not understand the inner workings of the printer. I was pretty tired this morning when I started printing more books and was feeding out of tray 3 (8 1/2 x 11) tray and it was working great. No jams, no multi-pulls. Then I took a closer look and I was flipping it on the short edge. So

We have a stack cutter that we use to cut the 11 x 17 down to 8.5 x 11. I did try the 11 x 17 again before leaving work yesterday. Out of the bypass tray on the first page of the book it pulled 11 sheets of the paper causing a major jam and printer malfunction to where I had to reboot the printer once I had cleared the jam.

HI, had same problems with my 700, tried really everything - internal trays are completly useless for any coated stock. So i bought a dual oversized high capacity feeder - with air support last week, and it is a dreeam now. No double feeds anymore.
A xerox in this range, withot the OHCF or DUAL OHCF is useless IMO.

HI, had same problems with my 700, tried really everything - internal trays are completly useless for any coated stock. So i bought a dual oversized high capacity feeder - with air support last week, and it is a dreeam now. No double feeds anymore.
A xerox in this range, withot the OHCF or DUAL OHCF is useless IMO.

We are talking about getting rid of our current printer due to this issue. Any recommendations on what we should get. We are a photography / Marketing Business and mainly print photo's laid out on 11 x 17 80# Cover, these need to be very high quality (20 pages per session / 15 sessions per Site / 15 Sites per year) (4500 sheets per year), Address and Christmas Cards (Same Stock as the photos)(4500 sheets per year). We also do Photo Directories (Average size is 20 pages Double Sided print / 300 Books per site / 15 Sites a year)(90,000 Pages Total). We also do an assortment of Posters, Rack Cards, Business Cards and Fliers for Entertainers that are on 100# Text and Cover. We also do some specialized printer of Invoices on Triplicate Paper, Entertainment Programs (8 1/2 x 11 either Bi-Fold or Tri-Fold)

Okay found a work around, not a great one but it works. Using 11" x 17" paper out of the bypass tray, printing the odd numbered pages (one-sided), then flipping the paper and printing the even numbered pages in reverse order (The book has to be an even number of pages for this to work properly). No Jams and No Multi-Pulls. So I know the problem has to do with the duplexing. I could understand it jamming but why the Multi Pulls? In my mind when it pulls the paper it should not matter if it is duplexed or not it should be pulling the paper from the same way either way.

Well you were close on what we are using, NewPage Blazer Digital. Is there something about Newport that I need to be made aware of?

We had that problem too. Tried everything but no fu*king way to print coated stock without multifeeds & jams.
So we got OHCF tray and coated paper run perfectly now.

the only way we got it to work? use xerox paper. that way, when the tech came out -- and it was a LOT -- they couldn't blame it on the paper. now, i rarely have any jams, but i keep the room at about 64 degrees with relative humidity in the 40-50% range. i rarely (knock on wood) have jams anymore, but the OHCF is definitely the way to go, especially on longer runs. standing there feeding paper through the bypass tray is a pain.

on the paper...we were getting it from a local house (when we had a 262 and when we first had this machine) and they were trimming press sheets down. if the cut wasn't totally square, it would jam. predictably. often. so, my charges were overinflated due to all the spoilage. it ended up working for us to go with xerox (now domtar) paper and it works well for us, but we don't offer as many options to our in-house clients as most of you guys do -- we have corporate standards so they pick from a very restricted variety. anything too high volume or special, we outsource.

our next machine will probably be a xerox, but it will definitely have the OHCF...or two.

There is an adjustment for multifeeds on the bypass tray. The pressure can be increased on the bottom roller by moving the adjustment plate to the high point. More pressure will decrease multifeeding but may increase feed jams.

Hi,
I have also the same problem with my xerox 550 multi page feeding I have the solution for you if you are giving prints from byepass or a tray plz feed the paper one by one means plz open the tray and put one by one each sheet in the tray feed one by one in the tray up to tray fills it will take some time but you will not get paper jam I have used x550 for a year now I bought x770 for the tray their is a one solution which I describe hope you like
Mobile no. +91 9860375558

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back