Nanographic Printing Technology from Benny Landa

What are these particles called? The colorants? Can we identify them, the ones that are used in nanographics? Positive ID only please.

Thank you. D

Dont know if this helps or not, an article from the release:

The Nanographic Printingâ„¢ Process

At the heart of the Nanographic Printingâ„¢ process are Landa NanoInkâ„¢ colorants. Comprised of pigment particles only tens of nanometres in size (1 nanometer is about 100,000 times thinner than a human hair), these nano-pigments are extremely powerful absorbers of light and enable unprecedented image qualities. Landa Nanographic Printing is characterised by ultra-sharp dots of extremely high uniformity, high gloss fidelity and the broadest colour gamut of any four-colour printing process.

Nano Nano !!!!

Nano Nano !!!!

After my visit to Drupa and the hype surrounding the Landa circus i have a few comments to make .....
Yes it is a new and innovative concept .
Yes it solves a few issues re inkjet
yes it was a highlight of Drupa

Will it go forward as a groundbreaking technology ?

The secrets in the ink not the process as such . Inkjets secret is that its the only non impact printing process we have .....its also the problem with inkjet ....
Landa's process is still offset and with it lay a multitude of issues that we already experience .....dust ,ghost images ,blanket cuts , blah blah blah

Great effort Benny and im sure it will grow legs but for mine ......direct inkjet is the future...and guess what ....the secret will be in the ink !!!!!!

But it was a great show Benny !!!!!

Dont know if this helps or not, an article from the release:

The Nanographic Printingâ„¢ Process

At the heart of the Nanographic Printingâ„¢ process are Landa NanoInkâ„¢ colorants. Comprised of pigment particles only tens of nanometres in size (1 nanometer is about 100,000 times thinner than a human hair), these nano-pigments are extremely powerful absorbers of light and enable unprecedented image qualities. Landa Nanographic Printing is characterised by ultra-sharp dots of extremely high uniformity, high gloss fidelity and the broadest colour gamut of any four-colour printing process.

So I guess you could say Benny introduced a liquid ink and a blanket to xerography and now has obstensively done the same thing with inkjet by building the image on a belt or "blanket" then using heat and pressure to transfer to the paper?

Given the small size of these nano particles, are there health related issues to consider? Not a stretch to imagine them getting loose in the pressroom, ripe for ingestion and/or inhalation. Just saying...

Yeah PITP

The heat is used to evaporate all the water from the ink itself and what is left is like a toothpaste consistency ink....the nano particled ink then almost laminates onto the stock and you end up with a very uniform shaped dot as there is little absorption into the substrate and with high pigment concentration of course ability to have extremely bright colours with a fine film of ink ( about one third the normal apparently)..........kept everyone interested anyway ...time will tell is Benny the Senefelder of our time or is this the Y2K bug of the print industry !!! lol

Saw some samples myself, wasn't really happy with the quality. Just looked liked a crappy inkjet.

Was very disappointed. Still they have a way to go, who knows what it will be like if he succeeds

I wonder if these quality issues are related to the offsetting process or the 'ink ejectors' as inkjet has already established high quality. I'm not a mechanical engineer but why not just jet/eject directly onto the substrate then blast it with array of IR lasers or LEDs to remove the water? It seems the technology is more the nano ink and less the mechanical process. I wonder if this ink or other nano inks will be able to overcome these barriers without the offsetting process.

I wonder if this ink or other nano inks will be able to overcome these barriers without the offsetting process.

It would be nice to see some independent technical investigation of any benefits of nano ink over normal ink.

I am guessing the benefits are not as big as claimed when even (apples to apples) comparisons are made.

I have a question for anyone who already has an inkjet digital press.

What is the distance from the inkjet nozzle opening to the paper that is being printed on?

My assumption is that it is quite close but I don't know for sure.

The Landa inkjet seems to be quite far away from the hot belt. Maybe for a reason.

Thanks for any distance info.

solvent ink jet heads are about 1 CM away from substrate, if the belt is heated maybe they had to move them back to keep from clogging heads...

That is what I have been thinking. Cooked inkjets.

Most people do not understand the innovation and technology development process. I have some experience working on some innovation that was not successful in the end even though it worked. Having something work is not enough.

During the innovative process or I should say during the process to develop the technology for an innovative concept, problems arise. So then it is a matter of doing some engineering to address the problems.

Some problems are foreseen and usually can be addressed but not always. Then there are problems that pop up which were unexpected. The problems can be with developing the technology itself or with the manufacturing of some new parts.

What ever the problem is, an engineering approach is needed to address the remaining problems.

One will start to realize that there is a problem with the whole project when the number of new problems popping up starts to increase instead of decrease and the engineering solutions to those problems start to make the technology more and more complicated.

Then the real killer is that at some point you might start to understand that one or more of the initial assumptions were actually wrong and in an instant you know that all that time and money were wasted.

That sucks!

It is very important to know and admit that the project is a failure and stop wasting resources. And what is especially important is to find out exactly why. Very often the best knowledge is obtained by investigating why something was wrong.

So I can only guess what Landa's team is going through. If it was so easy, it would have worked at Drupa. They may have lots of issues that just lead to more issues. Developing complicated technology is not an easy task.

Landa's Nanography uses only water based inks not solvent

Oh, I just noticed that TheprocessIStheproduct commented that solvent inkjets were about 1 cm away. I don't think he was suggesting that Landa's inkjets were solvent based but only that some conventional inkjets that happened to be solvent ones were that close.

Is this distance of 1 cm the same for conventional water based inkjet printing presses? Can anyone comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epson and HP inkjet printers have hundreds of base profiles for all of the various materials that they can print. To make inkjet easier to control you need to cut back on the variables.
Fuji's 720 and Landa's Nanograph print to a controlled surface allowing a multitude of substrates to be printed without the pain in the butt of using a different profile for each substrate. Fuji aqueous coats each sheet for a controlled surface and Landa prints to the belt. Two totally different ways to accomplish the same control of what surface you inkjet.
Indigo has done the same thing since it's introduction almost 20 years ago. Coating the sheet for a controlled surface.

Oh, I just noticed that TheprocessIStheproduct commented that solvent inkjets were about 1 cm away. I don't think he was suggesting that Landa's inkjets were solvent based but only that some conventional inkjets that happened to be solvent ones were that close.

Is this distance of 1 cm the same for conventional water based inkjet printing presses? Can anyone comment.

I replied with quote here to keep Erik's question of distance, jets to substrate, Live.

I just had to comment about one very specific statement that Erik made in his previous reply, "And what is especially important is to find out exactly why. Very often the best knowledge is obtained by investigating why something was wrong." I so very much agree with this statement. I will add; even if you fix a problem in any endeavor, it is as important to find out why you had a problem, as it the importance of the fixing problem. That is how you learn and are able to progress and move positively forward when the next issue occurs. Erik explained this eloquently in an older reply, that the first 98% of a project can be a successful endeavor, but the last 2% can be the most difficult and the show stopper that can halt the party. Those are very good revelations we all must realize in any activity we partake in.
How far along do you think the perfected Nanograhpic technology is along, percentage why? A guess is fine, because nothing in definitive.

Quality was the worst I have come across at Drupa. The technology is no were near ready for production and I cannot see how it will be anytime soon. If the samples they showcased at Drupa were the best they had, then I would have shut down the stand if I was him. Terrible and as people say what are they trying to make better?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back