New Release CS 5.5

No 5.5 files can't be opened in 5 as of today, but there may be a patch coming to support 5.5 files in CS5. What is new is mostly to do with e-pub.

This is not a problem for AI or PS if I understand the situation correct (they go to 5.1 versions rather than 5.5 as is the case with InDesign).

Letts hope there will be a 5.0 patch to fix this compatibility.

Export to .idml will open in CS5 and CS4 (according to posters on the InDesign Forum) also you can install both versions on the same machine.

Just getting ready for a dept. upgrade...finally got the necessary hardware and software and then they do this...great.:mad:

I would have passed on CS5 completely...I saw no reasoning for it for print production.

o_O you see nothing of benefit to print in CS5? With ever shortening deadlines I feel that the span/split columns is definitely something we benefit from. Back ground PDF generation is good too, and mini bridge, as a better clipboard... but then there is the question what you consider print production. I think a printer, with the tools as they are today can decide to spend their cash on a flow that handles print-ready PDFx4,... or they can choose to keep up to date and empower their customers to produce more/better/smarter publishing, and sell them support and training.

o_O you see nothing of benefit to print in CS5? With ever shortening deadlines I feel that the span/split columns is definitely something we benefit from. Back ground PDF generation is good too, and mini bridge, as a better clipboard... but then there is the question what you consider print production. I think a printer, with the tools as they are today can decide to spend their cash on a flow that handles print-ready PDFx4,... or they can choose to keep up to date and empower their customers to produce more/better/smarter publishing, and sell them support and training.

I run a prepress department for a major folding carton printer...the only thing CS 5 has done for me is force me to spend time and money upgrading my already perfectly capable dept. Most of our designers didn't jump from CS3 to CS4...just went straight to 5. I was perfectly fine with 4. Good bye G5's...what a waste.

InDesign C5.5 is mainly updates for epubs. It offer little value for print design or production. Save that cash and use it on something more productive.

I never found the background processing that relevant. I rather know my PDF is done, close my file and move onto the next one. Instead I must wait for the warning box to close, then close my file. I have not found a way to turn off the background procesing.

p

The subscription method might be a good thing after all. Like us whom only a few clients have CS5. So fewer will have CS5.5. The pay as you go could work.

p

does anybody know if it fixes the auto-guides? you know, the ones in CS5 that highlight every object once you mouse over it? it's maddening, and i can't figure out how to turn it off.

I never found the background processing that relevant. I rather know my PDF is done, close my file and move onto the next one. Instead I must wait for the warning box to close, then close my file. I have not found a way to turn off the background procesing.

p
For me background processing is not even relevant, it's downright annoying. I would love to be able to turn that feature off.

As far as I know, in InDesign, you can't turn off the background processing, but you can view the progress by opening the Background Tasks window (Windows:Utilities:Background Tasks). At least that way you know when your PDF is close to being finished.

Hold the phone central! Do I have this right? If my customers have 5.5 and I have 5, I have to spend even more money just so I can open 5.5 files (assuming no compatibility fix)?

Thanks,
Jon

CS5 to CS5.5 Upgrade Cost

CS5 to CS5.5 Upgrade Cost

I began looking into the pricing for the CS5.5 version today and realized that not only is it not a free upgrade from CS5, it is REALLY expensive. For me to upgrade from my CS5 Design Premium to the new CS5.5 will cost me $1,399 per seat. This equates to what a full version upgrade price (CS3 to CS4, CS4 to CS5) has cost in the past. Adobe's monopoly is complete and now even point upgrades are thousands of dollars each. Combined with the inability of older versions to open files created in newer versions, even for point upgrades (InDesign particularly) we are all about to be taken for a ride.

For me to upgrade from my CS5 Design Premium to the new CS5.5 will cost me $1,399 per seat. This equates to what a full version upgrade price (CS3 to CS4, CS4 to CS5) has cost in the past. Adobe's monopoly is complete and now even point upgrades are thousands of dollars each. Combined with the inability of older versions to open files created in newer versions, even for point upgrades (InDesign particularly) we are all about to be taken for a ride.

Just curious, where are you getting this pricing?
I just purchased upgrades to CS 5.5 from 5.0 and it was about $300.00 per seat.

CS5 to 5.5 Upgrade cost

CS5 to 5.5 Upgrade cost

I was mislead by the Adobe website, the first window that pops up when requesting an upgrade automatically tries to sell you the Master Collection which is $1399 from Design Premium CS5. My upgrade is $399 per seat which is still a bit much for a point upgrade. My pricing was off on the Design Premium upgrade but my point is still valid. The fact that people now feel that $400 and up, per seat, for a forced point upgrade that probably offers nothing of note for printers is OK, shows that we are stuck with whatever Adobe forces us to do. It seems that we are now subsidizing Adobe's R&D in the web, interactive and applications areas with our tithings.

this is why I really hope GIMP and Inkscape can eventually compete with Photoshop and Illustrator as far as advanced features go.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back