New Xerox 560 Surprise

kdw75

We just got our 560 installed Friday and overall love it. It has one major flaw compared to our 7556 though. It won't let you duplex 80# Gloss cover! Our 7556 will so why won't this production machine????

One other question I had was about volume. The Xerox guy recommended this as a starter since our volume on the 7556 was around 33,000 a month. This having a cheaper rate though is getting more use. Friday we put 8,000 clicks on it. I am thinking we will probably average around 50,000 a month, which is about what they recommend for this machine. So what happens if we run more? Just more frequent service calls?

Also I noticed our integrated Fiery says it's an XC570. Is that normal on a 560 machine?

Last edited:
We just got our 560 installed Friday and overall love it. It has one major flaw compared to our 7556 though. It won't let you duplex 80# Gloss cover! Our 7556 will so why won't this production machine????

One other question I had was about volume. The Xerox guy recommended this as a starter since our volume on the 7556 was around 33,000 a month. This having a cheaper rate though is getting more use. Friday we put 8,000 clicks on it. I am thinking we will probably average around 50,000 a month, which is about what they recommend for this machine. So what happens if we run more? Just more frequent service calls?

Also I noticed our integrated Fiery says it's an XC570. Is that normal on a 560 machine?

Originally the 550/560 could duplex up to 176 gsm, but they did a software update on the machine so it will duplex up to 220gsm. You might still have the old software installed and service has to upgrade it.

If i understood right 80# Cover is ~220 gsm. You can always fool the machine, but you should discuss about this with your tech.

I'm not sure I would call the 560 a "production machine", but, as with most Xerox equipment sales, you should have received and signed a "CED" (Customer Expectation Document). If the CED states that it will duplex 80# cover, and, you are having difficulty doing that, then keep calling the techs in until they fix it.

I'm not sure that software has anything to do with a printer's ability, or, inability to duplex certain stocks. That is usually a function of hardware design - the size of the duplex curve, (the area that the printer will use to "flip over" the sheet and re-route the unprinted side back through the imager and fuser). The smaller and tighter that duplex curve is, the less ability it will have to duplex the thicker stocks.

You may have more success in duplexing the heavier weights if you use short-grain stock instead of long grain - it will bend easier around the duplex curve.

-Best

MailGuru

Last edited:
We are being trained on it tomorrow so I will be asking the tech. I chose the Coated 2 setting which is only supposed to go up to 176GSM, if I remember right, and it still says duplexing isn't available. We have 20K clicks on it and we've only had it running two days. The high capacity OHC feeder and Fiery are great. Definitely worth the money for us.

Mailguru,

It said on the startup sheet that it was a production machine so it must be true. Lol

Last edited:
New Xerox Spec./CED

New Xerox Spec./CED

Xerox will do software updates to the machine and it will do higher GSM using the same hardware. Sometimes the software is not ready, so they release the machine with limited capabilities and then they do a field upgrade to add these new features. YOU have to ask for the upgrades and YES get a copy of the CED. This is the most important document you will ever own. If the machine does not perform to the spec in the CED, they will replace the machine. How do I know, I did three times and they replaced my machines. Xerox is fantastic when it comes to owning up to the problem. This did not come without pain of proving that we had a problem, but at the end I was very happy with the results.

So, Get a copy of the CED.

Fiery: the Fiery is the same for all of the machines in that class. The matter of fact, all of the machines are the same the only difference is a small device that the factory places in the machine to control the speed. The techs can do a field upgrade in 30 seconds to make the machine faster. The Bussled fiery works great for 95% of the jobs. I have been printing on bussled fiery for 6 years with over 7 million licks on Xerox 700s and they work great. VDP is a problem but you can work around it with Fusion Pro from PTI.

Keep an eye on the registration and fishtailing large sheets (13 x 19). when this happens it is time to change the transporter assembly completely.
Good luck :)

Oh, one more thing, Calibrate on daily bases to keep the machine inline and keep the colors consistent for reorders. When the fusers and drums get old the colors will change, but if you calibrate and rest to baseline these problem will go away. if you are doing this volume calibration on the paper stock and exact paper is a must. Don't get lazy, calibrate Daily :)

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. We didn't get the spectro, but think we will add that. So they can upgrade our speed... That would be nice. :)

You say that the techs can do a speed upgrade on our machine. The question though is whether or not they will and how much it would cost. I asked the guy that did the basic training on the machine and he said he had never heard of them doing it. He thought they would just replace the machine. I haven't asked our service guy yet, he hasn't been in since we got it. It has 70,000 clicks and so far is going strong.

I have a 252 and it is not rated to duplex any coated stock, only Plain and Heavyweight 1. I use Heavyweight 1 to duplex 100lb coated text. Works all the time. So try using Heavyweight 2 for your 80lb coated cover.

After an update it lets me duplex 80# cover. Every sheet jams though so it's not useable.

I have a 252 and it is not rated to duplex any coated stock, only Plain and Heavyweight 1. I use Heavyweight 1 to duplex 100lb coated text. Works all the time. So try using Heavyweight 2 for your 80lb coated cover.

well looking at the CED document on the DC252 it clearly states on page 4:

Using coated and or extra heavyweight (I.e above 90lb/176gsm) degrades reliability of the DC242/252/260.
Customers WHO exclusively or extensively use these materials will see a decreased performance as it relates to image quality and product reliability.

If I were you i'd talk to the technicians Again and ask them to do an extra effort. Otherwise ask your sales people from Xerox to create a quality case with local Xerox service provider.

After an update it lets me duplex 80# cover. Every sheet jams though so it's not useable.

remember to set device paper on IOT before print. if that dosen't Work call technician.
you can autoduplex up to 220 uncoated and 176gsm coated... (with variations).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back