Outsourcing print jobs to other countries, thoughts???

Hi. What are your thoughts on outsourcing printing jobs to China or India?

It seems that a lot of Chinese companies are looking for American business.

Is it worth it? Have you done it? What was your experience???

I've been reading the comments made here: RTTS: Outsourcing - Statisticsand it seems that it's a scary venture.

Ya why not send your business to another country. In my area 90% of the print shops that were open 10 years ago are closed. People that outsourced their printing was one of the reasons those shops are all closed now. Why would you want to support local businesses? Why care that by outsourcing you are putting your fellow citizens out of work? I wonder why the government doesn't require everyone to outsource. Then we can all be in the same boat, out of work...

Outsourcing to other Countries?

Outsourcing to other Countries?

Well, let's see. The language you have to give directions and orders in is different. The inks and papers available are different. The solvents and chemicals are different (this could be harmful to children that like to eat and chew on printed things). Obviously the labor is cheap and mostly semi-skilled. The epuipment is sometimes the castoffs from America, refurbished if possible.
Then when your job is printed you get to decide how to get it back to the states. Do you ship it by AIR (expensive as all get out) or do you print about five times what you really need, place it in a "container" and put it on the deck of a ship and wait three to four months to receive it. After which you will need to open the container and sort through the product to find the ones not water damaged, and the ones that actually do have the color you signed off on at proof.
But, Hey, every big business is shipping jobs overseas, why not you?

Us printers work too much already. By all means send it all overseas, so we won't have to work at all.
Another plus is that the pressmen are probably making 5 or 6 dollars a day. If we send enough printing jobs overseas pretty soon we'll be able to make 5 or 6 dollars a day too!
After the job is printed it gets to take a nice ocean cruise on a oil guzzling freighter, not to mention the train ride once it gets here. This is great for all of our environmentally conscience printing customers. Just make sure it's being printed on post consumer recycled with soy based inks, and you'll be fine.
Let's save every penny we can. No matter who it hurts

Outsourcing prepress works in China

Outsourcing prepress works in China

We are a prepress company in Shanghai and are doing prepress packaging artworks for many European companies. If any of you are intereseted, please mail to:[email protected].

A while back I read a payroll study that had an interesting point . . . that the average printer in America pays more in health and welfare in one hour than the lead pressman on a 40 inch press makes in a day (in china as I recall). .. . tough to compete with that . . . .

Maybe they can build one of those gigantic factory barges and they can print the work while it's enroute to the States?

I saw container after container of printing equipment go overseas my last 6 months in the printing industry, Hong Kong, Argentina, Brazil...I have no doubt they are seeking work for them here also.

Ok, this is my 2nd try at this (lost my last reply). If I can put into a nutshell. As a person who does this outsourcing (reluctantly at times I'll add). There are many reasons why this happens. Yes, to some extent we don't have to deal with Human Resources issues overseas. However, it also happens that if you're already getting goods in Vietnam (ie I deal in packaging) it makes sense to have your print supplier in the same location if the (and this is ALWAYS the caveat) the price is right. And that's the real key. Unfortunately/fortunately depending on your perspective our government has spent many years working to build ties with other countries to obtain trade/resources/negotiate issues and due to this we've grown a global economy. We've created this "problem" ourselves. And the quotes are on purpose as ONCE-UPON-A-TIME, we used to be known internationally as a great presence among other countries for negotiating peace, trade, etc. However, now due to our focus on looking for cheap labor and goods…we're forgetting what's going on at home (among other issues). And, I might add the rest of the world has followed that example. But I digress.
The gist of it is, large volume establishments have built a whole base of employees (there's the jobs) on outsourcing. You have buyers who now look solely for the most inexpensive quality goods possible and for the most inexpensive way to get them back home. That's where my role as somewhat the equalizer (Project Coordinator) comes in (ha!). It's our role to judge whether or not the goods and services (in this case print) are comparable or better to those of our US counterparts. Sometimes, they don't pass muster. So, we may find the print vendor in China can produce at lower cost, but if the materials don't hold up, the print vendor in NY wins the contract.

While I understand your perspective as an individual who is working under their own personal circumstances, it still has the smell of hypocrisy to it. Why ask your original question if you already have the answer? If it's cheaper overseas then buy it overseas. What answer were you looking for, or expecting.
I say make it in China; package it in China and then sell in to the Chinese. Americans never demanded cheaper, substandard goods and services. Cheaper goods were shoved down the throats of the American people in the name of higher profits for the few.
The problem I have with companies like yours is that if something you get printed in China comes back printed with lead based inks you'll disavow any responsibility for it. I recently opened a pallet of paper that was made in China and a whole family of spiders went scattering around the shop. For all I know these were an invasive species that will do harm. When I called the paper company that sold the paper they didn't want to have anything to do with it.
Do like everyone else is doing. GO FOR THE GOLD.
Lenny R.

"Why ask your original question if you already have the answer?"
Lennyr…I didn't ask the question, I was responding to it. (view prior comments and the original comment in the thread). And this isn't MY company, it's actually one of Warren Buffet's companies. But it could be anyone's for that matter. I suggest you re-read my post. If you received goods from a company that you don't approve of what came in the pallet (spiders)…then take it up with the company or more likely in this case the shipping company. It's YOUR option as the buyer to show the power in that agreement…I don't think I wrote to the contrary (ie take it or leave it "Go for the gold" get it cheap quality and price). Please note Lenny R…the irony in finding this thread in the "Looking for Employees" section. It's no mistake I'm here, and possibly no mistake that the initial poster placed the post here in the first place. We may tow the line, but it may not be we want to stay on the ship!

I am in process of closing a US facility because my customers took their manufacturing to China.
Now I am selling off a couple pieces of equipment and 1 is going to India and the other to Brazil.
At least I was able to place my employees at a sister company in the area. My plant in Mexico can't even compete against China and India. So send it over and see what happens when your customer rejects it after waiting 6 weeks and needs it tomorrow

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back