Pantone 877 / metallic

monq

Hello,

a while ago I used Pantone 877 C for a small metallic effect in a box. I have noticed that some pharmaceutical companies seem to use a very shiny effect in their boxes (i.e. Nurofen). It is my understanding that they use 877 C for the whole background / then add a few extra elements on top.

Do you know whether this would be exactly what is done for this type of packaging? Or am I missing something here?

Cheers!

I am not familiar with this product but it may be an actual foil applied then printed over, Henkel Mirafoil, Color Logic or a similar system and not a regular silver ink.

They might print on Foil coated board, or apply spot foil and print on top or as Chevalier says use a Mirafoil silver. I have used Mirafoil and although its pretty good nothing looks like foil except foil in my humble opinion

They print on Foil coated cardboard(it can be silver,gold,...) with special fast drying ink produced for printing only on that kind of cardboard.

We do all kinds of packaging printing. The most brilliant metallic effect is either printing on Metpoly board, or foil stamping. Henkel's product Mirafoil is a great solution, especially if you are able to apply it in-line. Its nowhere near as good as metpoly board or foil stamping however. IMO, the bottom of the barrell is 877 (depending on the printing process). 877 in standard sheetfed offset is pretty bad. You can barely tell its metallic, especially once you get a gloss coating over it. An 877 as the background with elements over it would probably just make everything a darker gray.

As far as printing on Metpoly board, I'd work with your board provider. Most will apply a coating to go with your inkset. We print successfully with conventional, hybrid and UV on metpoly board.

Hi everyone and thank you very much for your in-depth feedback! I was dreading that 877 with more on top would not look metallic at all (I have tried a similar approach with neons with something on top, ending up with some sort of poo poo like colour...) :D

Will liaise directly with my supplier and suggest the various elements - just to see whether they can apply foil stamping / metpoly boards etc...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back