PDFs giving different results when viewing on different PC's

AndyMc

Had an odd one today, carried out a series of corrections for customers using Packedge. Sent PDF back to customer for approval and they asked what I had done as I had left out a whole paragraph of text.

When I viewed the PDF on my windows 7 machine with Acrobat standard 9 sure enough the paragraph was missing, managed to get it to show by contourising the fonts in Packedge then exporting but this is less than ideal.
Turns out though that if I emailed the original corrected PDF around the office windows XP machines can see the text, none of the Windows 7 machines can see the text and they are running viewer, the only Windows 7 machine that could see the text was running Acrobat Professional.

Ideas anyone, I'm desperate for a solution, I'm hoping its an option in Acrobat somewhere?

Usual workflow is edit in Packedge, check in Fastimpose and export out a PDF that is usually uploaded automatically to a customers ftp.

If everyone receiving it is using Acrobat Reader then send a PDF/X file, like a PDF/X-1a or a PDF/X-4.

Is the text white and/or set to overprint? Acrobat Reader and Pro will view different unless you go to output preview in pro. Just a thought

Just mono text on a white page, will logon to another workstation in the morning as another user to ensure I don't have a Packedge problem, just odd that the XP machines can see the file as it should be ?

Was the mystery paragraph in a particular font? Did you check the document properties to see that all fonts are included (subsetted or otherwise) in the PDF?

managed to get it to show by contourising the fonts in Packedge then exporting but this is less than ideal.

Sounds like a missing fonts issue and how you are exporting the pdf. Check the export settings and try to embed the fonts while exporting.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back