Press OK procedure

tamale

Does anyone have a procedure for 'first piece inspection' or 'job OK to run' that they are willing to share?

Thanks!

Tamale

Does anyone have a procedure for 'first piece inspection' or 'job OK to run' that they are willing to share?

Thanks!

Tamale

Not sure if this answers your question but where I've worked and where I've bought print, the customer is kept in a waiting room with a light box. When the color is OK'd by the lead press operator the press sheet and proof are then brought to the customer in the waiting room for eevaluation and OK. Often it is the sales rep who assists the customer in evaluating the match. Sometimes the press operator is also there. In some shops the customer is brought out to the press console to OK the sheet that the press operator is happy with.

Last edited:
Not sure if this answers your question but where I've worked and where I've bought print, the customer is kept in a waiting room with a light bix. When the color is OK'd by the lead press operator the press sheet and proof are then brought to the customer in the waiting room foe evaluation and OK. Often it is the sales rep who assists the customer in evaluating the match. Sometimes the press operator is also tyere. In some shops the customer is brought out to the press console to OK the sheet that the press operator is happy with.

I seem to remember situations where the customer wanted changes to the press operators first match and then a series of moves and pulls were made. Time passed. Eventually the customer OK'd a pull, which surprisingly looked like the first one the press operator provided. :)

A digital printshop I worked in several years ago had a graphic designer client come over to approve the print. After many proofs and changes, she asked for one more: "can you add 1% magenta?". The press operator, fed up with her, went to the press and simply clicked "Print" again without changing a thing.

She looked at the new proof and said: "perfect!"

Press Sheet OK's

Press Sheet OK's

Hello tamale,

A PDF that I hope you will find of interest and value,

" Efficient Press OKs"

Regards Alois

Attachments

• Press OKs # 1304.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 204
  • Press OKs # 2305.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 227
You'll want to avoid contact between a client and your pressman unless he possesses above average people skills... and his ass isn't hanging out of his pants. A separate proofing/viewing room with glass panels separating the pressroom from the client is preferred. Signs reading "Don't feed the animals" are optional.

Also, you don't want the client to feel that they have control over the press or they will spend half a day tweaking color and wasting paper only to end up back where you started with your first pull, as previously posted. Then, you'll be behind schedule, paying overtime, ordering more paper and losing any small profit you had in the job.

Most press checks are simply a chance for graphic designers to posture and stroke their fragile egos, while billing their client for the privilege of their time spent adjusting color that never needed to be adjusted in the first place. Humor them, but watch your bottom line.

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

I would try and avoid bringing a customer out to the press for a colour ok.

I once saw a customer reject the first OK sheet that was presented. He claimed that the special color on the packaging was not matched properly. There was a signed-off color swatch. Regardless, he wanted the ink re-formulated. The Pressroom foreman did not think it was necessary but he capitulated. He told the salesman to come back after an hour or so. He came back later and signed off right away. Amazing what a dinner and drinks can do to make a tough customer happy. By the way the ink was not re-formulated. The foreman knew what he was doing and left the ink as it was originally formulated. The customer virtually looked at the same sheet again that was presented before he left for dinner. It was a miracle to see how much his eyesight had improved. Lasix in a bottle perhaps.

Pass on Press

Pass on Press

Hello fellow Lithographers,

I can relate to many of the comments posted - BUT let us not forget the many

Professional Print Buyers who pass on press who are knowledgeable.

Regards, Alois

I've been on press checks at numerous vendors in the USA as well as in Asia. I prefer to go into the press-room and talk directly to the operator (or when in the Asia, converse through your customer service rep). During one press check in Asia I requested that the sheets be dried (with blow driers) before I could comment. The dry back played a significant role on how the color behaved on uncoated stock. For jackets/covers, we asked that the sheets be laminated before commenting. I'm sure this is the cause for frustration at the printer, but it's how we always do it. My biggest takeaway, though, is to not tell the press operator what moves to make, simply tell him how you feel about the color, let him decide what to do from there. That way, you are working together as a team.

That's great, Gordo.

My 2 favorite bullet points are:

• The press operator should try and use correct terms and use them consistently. For example, do not use the term "blue" if you mean "cyan."

• Encourage the customer to explain what concerns they have rather than tell you how to fix them. Their role is to identify the problem - your role is to know whether, and how the problem can be fixed.

I always get frustrated when "blue" and "red" are used. I feel like that just creates confusion. If someone said more red, do they mean more magenta, or do they mean less cyan? It's best to use the actual process ink names.

I am the press operator and in our shop 90% of the time the customer comes to the press. I always try to let the customer decide what changes they would like to make if any. I cant tell you the amount of times they ask me what I think and my response is I think it looks great it matches the proof that you approved. Sometimes not giving any extra options is much less stressful !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back