Prinergy/Color Management

We have a new Prinergy install and have been having problems with the blacks refining as a 4 color mix of black.

We have noticed that there is a default "Convert to destination" profile in the Color Convert section of the factory refine template. Is this profile causing our issues? What profile should be in this area? If it should be a device link profile and we do not have one yet, what should we put here?

Thanks!

Keri

Keri,

The first thing you want check is the profile that is attached to your PDF file and the profile that is shown in the Convert To Destination Profile area. If they are different then your 100% blacks will be converted to a CMYK mix to honor the Lab values of the 100% black in the original profile.

I have been meaning to test the different settings as we are preparing ICC profiles for our flexo presses using the G7 methodology.

In the past the values in a Photoshop patch file against the values on film (we still use film) and they have matched. This is as it should be because at the present our Photoshop images are tagged with SWOP and the Convert To Destination is SWOP. However when we start using our new profiles I will need to make sure that Prinergy is not placing its own influence on the images.

I will do some testing next week with different settings in the ColorMatch JTP and if you want to know the results let me know.

One other tip, if you for some reason you want Prinergy to convert your images and you want to keep your 100% blacks 100% black, you will have to check the Override Embedded Profiles box; the CMYK Images box; place the proper profiles in those boxes and in the Convert to Destination Profile box. Once you check the CMYK images you will be able to check the Retain CMYK Black in CMYK Images box and the CMYK Graphic box. If you are separating for press you will need to choose Relative for Rendering Intent.

The above is based on what I think will happen if those boxes are checked and what I believe the Kodak response center rep told me. My tests will confirm / deny my suspicions.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

-Bill-

We have a new Prinergy install and have been having problems with the blacks refining as a 4 color mix of black.

We have noticed that there is a default "Convert to destination" profile in the Color Convert section of the factory refine template. Is this profile causing our issues? What profile should be in this area? If it should be a device link profile and we do not have one yet, what should we put here?

Thanks!

Keri

Hi Keri,
About the 4 color Balck, yes, the "Convert to destination" option is making the black to convert to CMYK because it is using simple profile. The way to color manage the whole ducument, is to use ICC DeviceLink profiles, which allows to define exceptions like preserving the Black as Black.

If you are interested to get more information about ICC DeviceLink, you can visit our web site and take a look at PerfX Device Linkâ„¢ tool. We have many customers using it (with Prinergy or other workflow) for color management AND ink optimization (saving).

Hope this will help!

Louis Dery
TGLC inc.
TGLC Color Management and Color Control Solutions: PerfX Softwares, Training, Implementation, Certification

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back