Software for checking reference

Lukas Engqvist

I'm trying to help out to set up some quality control procedures at my "old" job, so I'm wondering if there is any basic software to run reference check on a Ugra/Fogra Media Wedge CMYK v3.0.

The idea is that the operator should be able to scan his/her reference and see how values compare to standard, preferably using an iOne.
Also if there was a similar way that a TVI wedge could be compared to a normal/reference.

Basically needing a way to catch problems as early as possible. There are some full fledged systems that give full ISO compatibility read out… but they are too advanced… what's needed is something even a technophobe can use in a click-here, drag the meter along the strip and read the results. (as easy as taking temperature?)

Hope to match this to some kind of trouble shooting chart so that they can know which end to start looking to solve issues.

Hey, Lukas. I did some testing with PressSIGN from Bodoni Systems in the UK. I liked it a lot. Maxwell, from Chromix, has some very interesting capabilities. You could also take a peak at Print Standardizer from Alwan, ColorMetrix, ColorSciences, MellowColor, Taskero from Fuji, SpotOn!...trying to think who I'm forgetting.

Each package has strengths and weaknesses. Your application would decide what's the best fit.

Last edited:
Colormetrx ProofPass, ProofPass.com – ColorMetrix, has a simple UI for the person taking readings yet there is an admin page with detail for each patch.

CMI, Colour Management Intelligence B.V. (CMI), is different in that if you get a fail, then you also get a score to let you know if you are just a little bit out of tolerance or a lot.

Both packages are made to be easy to use, have a pass/fail interface, require an internet connection and charge a subscription fee.

Matt Louis

Last edited:
Quality Monitor is a program that will meet your needs. It can also be bundled with our Profile Tool for generating profiles and also near neutral plate curves with Gray Balance Optimizer. This is one of three programs awarded G7 Certification

Heidelberg - Prinect Color Toolbox

Regards,

Mark

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back