Used DC5000, New DC700, New KM6501 Dilemma

Davidoss

We have been looking to upgrade our Xerox DC240 to a DC700 and a Konica 6501 and have been reading this forum to see all the good and bad points on each machine. The 6501 is in the lead based on quality prints at the moment, but now we have an option to buy a 2 year old Xerox DC5000AP instead, 600,000 colour clicks and low black clicks.

They are all about the same price and I'm in a dilemma on which to choose.

Our volume is about 40k per month, 20k colour, 20k black, and we are going web2print next year with online store so we expect volumes to increase.

The downside to the 5000 is it uses fuser oil which we are not keen on the glossy finish, but love it as its a real production machine compared to the other 2. Anybody any thoughts on what machine will serve us best over the next 3 years? What would you choose? A 2 year old 5000AP (good condition) or a new 700 / 6501?

My opinion only, if the cost was comparable and you are okay with the quality then getting a real production machine versus a glorified office copier is a no brainer...even if it is a couple years old. I personally think that the glossy prints off the 2045/2060/6060 we have look better than the dull prints off of a 700...but that's just me.

The Xerox DocuColor 5000AP sounds like a great option. If you are concerned about the glossy, ask your Xerox rep/analyst to throw in the Gloss Variable Management kit for that model.

Don't worry about it being used, it'll be on FSMA anyway so anything that goes wrong is covered.

As for Variable Gloss Management... yes this is ok, though a much more effective way is to tell the machine you're using lighter paper, i.e run 300gsm as 130gsm.

Variable Gloss Management?? Unless youre thinking of GlossMark or something.
Personally, I would nab a 700DCP while you still can and choose your stocks to suit the kind of output you want to replicate. I am a fan of the oil based finish, mainly because I like it on photographs, but seriously, the oil technology is now becoming old school and the new EA toner (although flatter finish) can yeild good results when used on nice coated papers. Again, I guess it comes down to personal preference, the 700DCP is still considered a good workhorse and despite many envious suppliers claims of it being a "beefed up 5065" or "2XX on roids", its AMPV is still quite high and F/B reg is still the best in the market.

hmm, so the jury is still out. Again, personally, color and output is so subjective that if I were in your position, provide your suppliers with control files and have all the machines you would like to test print them. Then, using blind testing (i.e let others choose the best result) see what others think of the prints without introducing brand prejudices in to the mix.

Score them and there is your answer.

In this industry we can be our own worst critics, what may look like spew to you looks fine in the clients eyes. :)

Good luck with your decision.

X33 what is the variable gloss management???????

It is a sw kit (profiles) that allows you to control the level of gloss appearance.

From the press release back in 2008 : "It will reduce the glossy appearance of dark colors in digital prints. Print providers can now adjust the image rendering to a preferred level of glossiness and appearance for any job."

Glossmarks, is a different technology, it is to print an "hologram" type job.

The Xerox 5000AP is a really nice machine, its fast and does a decent job. The 700 currently doesent work with gloss paper and there are registration issues, the Konica is similar to the 240, it does print really good solids compared to the 240 or the 700.
If they are all the same price then get the 5000AP

Ian

We have been looking to upgrade our Xerox DC240 to a DC700 and a Konica 6501 and have been reading this forum to see all the good and bad points on each machine. The 6501 is in the lead based on quality prints at the moment, but now we have an option to buy a 2 year old Xerox DC5000AP instead, 600,000 colour clicks and low black clicks.

They are all about the same price and I'm in a dilemma on which to choose.

Our volume is about 40k per month, 20k colour, 20k black, and we are going web2print next year with online store so we expect volumes to increase.

The downside to the 5000 is it uses fuser oil which we are not keen on the glossy finish, but love it as its a real production machine compared to the other 2. Anybody any thoughts on what machine will serve us best over the next 3 years? What would you choose? A 2 year old 5000AP (good condition) or a new 700 / 6501?

I am used to have DC5065 with flat look like DC700, when I have 5000AP it's really different in terms on quality and reliability. It duplex 300gsm and have a better colour, if you print on 300gsm it give you a less glossier finish. if you print in 150gsm it will be very glossy, normal office people love it!

Support and Cost

Support and Cost

Two words.... support and cost (or click charge, but that would be more than 2 words). Quality of the print is only one part of the transaction, you need to think about who is servicing the unit and what it costs (fully loaded cost, that is!) to operate the machine.

Who is providing the support and parts for the unit. Do they know it inside and out. Can they guarantee parts availability and up-time? What's the click charge? What sizes does that cover, is there an increase clause in the contract, are there any parts or consumables NOT covered by the service contract?

Don't pick the DC5000 just because it's a production-quality box. Pick the unit that offers the right mix of quality, support, and cost.

Mark H

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back