Variable Data file format solutions for EFI Fiery Rip - How to be more efficient?

GMC? Now that is interesting.

Yes. We are GMC users. Not my choice but there you go. GMC is an expensive option. It's designed to print bank statements. It's not a plug-in. You need to install and learn a whole new layout application.

I can see from editing its PDF/VT files in acrobat that some common elements are only present in the file once. But there are plenty of common elements that are repeated.

I'll have to compare its output with HP Smart Stream now.

Jayhawkmike
I am with Konica Minolta. From what you describe you have two Fiery IC 308 print controllers running FS100 operating system. If this is correct they need to be updated to the FS150 operating system. The service tech would have to do this. I base this on the following that you stated 4gb of RAM which implies the IC308. The IC 310 ships with 8gb of RAM. The FS100 operating system was on the initial release of the IC 308 controller. (this runs on top of Windows 7) does not support PDF/VT, the FS150 operating system does. You can go to Device Center in Command Workstation, will display what Fiery OS you have.In addition, PDF/VT is best approach since it was designed for variable data PDF. I do have clients using PPML with no issues as well. In addition, is the cache turned on in the Fiery configuration, this helps with RIP perfoormance. Is the Fiery processing the PDF files via classic PS interpretation or via APPE? This may be turned off on your controllers and can be turned on via the Fiery configuration. I would benchmark which works best for your file structures. For your type of environment I have clients that added 4gb of RAM to improve overall performance, it does help. The RAM is standard spec not proprietary. In addition, I have one client, a large mail house processing over 50k records in a file. The RIP still processes it without crashing. Note: The files have been flattened, and no image over 300dpi. To further improve the performance of RIP using the Fiery VDP helps. One file is submitted that is the static form(s) minus the variable data this becomes the master file on the Fiery and is saved to the library. The second file is your variables. The placement of the variables must match the location on the master file. In addition, job properties (page size, simplex/duplex must be the same between master and variable. Once the master has been saved you submit the variable file, select to use the master file from within the VDP option on your print driver. The master is ripped once and stored in RAM. The variable are ripped. Setup takes longer per job although this approach saves on overall RIP time. If you are not familiar with this approach have your local KM personnel assist you. I would review what your current OS is, FS100 or FS150 then proceed accordingly.
I hope this helps some to reduce the overall RIP times.

You can also try Single File VPS from Fusion Pro. I just ran a 79,000 record file that would get PS Errors with PPML but the same files in VPS were perfect. BTW the job was broken up into 40 different batches.

Hey Jayhawkmike,

I'm also a KM guy presently, although now in sales, but I'm not even sure how that happened! Anyway, I spent lots and lots of years in VDP and mail as a programmer, systems engineer and a trainer. Lots of good advice here from others, especially page counts. Keep them much smaller. No more than 4000 records or pages/file. This also is best for management and control. A 10gb file can get to 40gb when ripped and is simply too much for most RIPs to handle efficiently. PPML.zip might be best. FusionPro isn't the very best in creating fully optimized PDF. You probably just need to make some workflow adjustments and definitely upgrade the Fiery as was mentioned. 2000 page files can RIP one after another and batch so you don't have too much pausing between files. There is a setting in the server config for that and I think it's on by default, but can't recall. More RAM won't help much--if at all--with RIPS because of the architecture. Creos, for example, use image disks to do the ripping work and they need to be formatted regularly to keep up performance.

Good luck to you and I wish you happy printing!
Dwight

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back