Versant envelope printing

Stickman42

I would like to offer a client 4 color printing on 9 x 12 booklet envelopes that I intend on printing on my Versant 80. The quantities may go up into the several thousands. Question is, can anyone relate the best way to feed these envelopes through the printer? I do have two high capacity drawers that would be preferred for use, but don't know if others have tried and resorted to using the bypass tray. I know I could trial and error this, but experiences are always welcome here. Thank you!

On our 2100 we usually use the bypass tray just because it is so much faster to load and even if you load them in the high capacity drawers, you are still stuck having to babysit the delivery to prevent nesting.

On my V180p, I use the high capacity tray but because of the way a stack sits, you can't fill it up very high.

In regards to the nesting, we use the high capacity shift stacker tray on our Ricoh. I found some of that soft foam they use for packing heavy equipment and custom made a block so the envelopes smack that and bounce back upon exit, helped a lot with the nesting issues. I can now use my high cap feed drawers and do several hundred at a time in the stacker without touching it.

on our 2100 I use both tray 6 and 7 (both high cap trays). I load them both up and when one empties and it goes to the next try I top up the empty one. Keeps things flowing and avoids stopping. Have not done 9 x 12 envelopes, only #10. Feeds amazingly well and fast. Great colour as well, the place we used to outsource too for full colour envelopes does not even come close in terms of quality.

I just completed 2500 9x12 open end 24# envelopes on our V2100 and it went super smooth. Loaded 250 at a time flap side first in the high cap feeder and selected the stacker tray to prevent nesting. Ran without a jam and stacked perfectly. Surprised me a bit as #10 envelopes usually have a few jams per 500 envelopes.

I just completed 2500 9x12 open end 24# envelopes on our V2100 and it went super smooth. Loaded 250 at a time flap side first in the high cap feeder and selected the stacker tray to prevent nesting. Ran without a jam and stacked perfectly. Surprised me a bit as #10 envelopes usually have a few jams per 500 envelopes.

The only times I have jams with #10's is if I load them bad and one curls up. I have run 5000 at a time with zero jams. Both window and plain and neither were digital envelopes. Been an amazing addition and allowed us a lot more flexibility to be able to print #10's so easily and with great quality.

Follow up question: My application will be 9 x 12 or 10 x 13 28# WW booklet envelopes, no bleeds. Would you recommend feeding them long edge (flap side) or short edge?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back