What is the print industry standard for crop mark offset?

4myinfo

I have exported a layout to .pdf for printing and enabled crop marks with a 0 offset. Will this create a problem? I did it in an effort for preciseness. What is the industry standard? Thanks!

A zero offset makes it almost impossible to trim at the proper size and not get a bit of crop mark in the finished product. That's why the industry standard is 0.125 offset.

Please think this through and realize that varying this distance has no effect at all on precision.

Al

I would say the offset should be at least the same amount as the bleed is for the page.
If your PDF has a trimbox set, the printer should not need crop marks at all.

Use crop marks with care.

Use crop marks with care.

In response to toronar:

"If your PDF has a trimbox set, the printer should not need crop marks at all."

This may be true in the prepress department, But I bet the bindery will have a different view, unless the imposition software generates crop marks of it's own. Crop marks are for everyone in production, not just pre press.

[Edit: use of creep impacts crop mark usability and/or meaning]

Al

Last edited:
I would say the offset should be at least the same amount as the bleed is for the page.
I agree with you: the offset of the marks and the bleed have the same use: allow a good trimming, and the good way is to have the same amount for the offset and the bleed.

(it's a non-sense to have a 5 mm (1/5th inch) bleed with only a 2 mm (5/64th inch) offset!!! in that case, only the 2 first mm of the 5 mm bleed are really usable for trimming.)

Al Ferrari said:
This may be true in the prepress department, But I bet the bindery will have a different view, unless the imposition software generates crop marks of it's own. Crop marks are for everyone in production, not just pre press.
Yes, but whatever the way to image the PDF (CTP + PDF workflow + imposition software, or printing from AcrobatPro, or importing PDF in InDesign (or XPress) pages), the pre-press system will add it's own marks!
So, marks are not really necessary, only a good definition of the boxes is needed to allow the pre-press to position the pages correctly.

(with my imposition software, I must first trim the PDF at it's finished size to remove bleed and marks, then the software can position the pages correctly and can add it's own bleed marks and trim marks)

Last edited:
I have exported a layout to .pdf for printing and enabled crop marks with a 0 offset. Will this create a problem? I did it in an effort for preciseness. What is the industry standard? Thanks!
The industry standard is .125 inch.

...or 3mm.

Aside... to 4myinfo... maybe interestingly, the guillotine operator actually only uses two crop marks for cutting a job. After two cuts one just sets the guillotine to the width and height of the job - not really aiming for the crop mark (or one hopes the cut lands on it at least!).

Once three cuts are made, you can't see the crop marks any more anyway.

@ 4myinfo,

There is never really any 'standard' answer to such a question, as this entirely depends on the project, how the design might be paginated or imposed. It also depends on what sort of system will be used, as many high end prepress tools can be configured recognise objects (either by color, or if they are outside the trimbox) and remove (or ignore them).

It is always best to contact the printer, as they can tell you what they need - for example, I might say "please give me bleed and trim marks, because we are printing this in China and that is what they requested" - where in Claude72 case, all you might be doing is creating more work for him.

Hope that helps (sorry - it would be nice if there were a single standard - perhaps if we all only printed in black and white and everything was one final size, we might come up with a standard, but i doubt it !)

"After two cuts one just sets the guillotine to the width and height of the job - not really aiming for the crop mark (or one hopes the cut lands on it at least!). "

This may be true in most cases, but there are jobs for which an even border all the way around is more important than an exact size. These should of course coincide in theory, but will not always do so in practice due to paper stretch for whatever reason. At that point in production, it will be too late to adjust the water setting.

Al

Last edited:
This may be true in most cases, but there are jobs for which an even border all the way around is more important than an exact size.
Al

Agreed. And it sounds like 4myinfo's job might be one of those jobs.

4myinfo: don't put too thin a border too close to the edge and then be dissapointed, after trimming, when the border doesn't seem equal all the way round.

3/16" or 0.1875" is my preference. I have always been dumbfounded as to why 0.0833" is the default setting in many applications. If the marks are in 0.0833" you need only to provide 0.0833" bleed as the rest of that area is worthless.

Thank the man in the sky for enfocus Pitstop's built in automated remove printer marks!

"After two cuts one just sets the guillotine to the width and height of the job - not really aiming for the crop mark (or one hopes the cut lands on it at least!). "

This may be true in most cases, but there are jobs for which an even border all the way around is more important than an exact size. These should of course coincide in theory, but will not always do so in practice due to paper stretch for whatever reason. At that point in production, it will be too late to adjust the water setting.
You're right. But, depending of each guillotine operator, there are two methods to fix this issue:

1- the easy and quick way (as you explain): make the 2 first cuts at the crop marks, and adjust the regularity of the border around by correcting the size.

2- the long way: make the 2 first cuts at the crop marks, the two final cuts at the exact size, and adjust the regularity of the border around by correcting the two first cuts... this method is longer, but has the advantage to keep the exact size.

michaelejahn said:
There is never really any 'standard' answer to such a question, as this entirely depends on the project, how the design might be paginated or imposed.
Yes, right.

As said previously, the marks offset has to match with the bleeds!

... and the bleeds are essential and needed:
• for cutting to allow small corrections of size and to be sure that no white paper is left on the edge of a coloured area or of a photo
• AND for binding to allow variations in the folding and the collating.

Cutting is generaly quite accurate, but binding introduce sometimes "great" variations... so:

• jobs using only ONE sheet of paper, like a simple flat leaflet, or a poster (without any fold), or a "4-pages" (with only one fold) or a 2-folds leaflet, nedding only 4 cuts of a flat paper sheet without any binding are easy jobs that can be cut by a normally competent operator with a less than 1 mm of variation... so for that kind of job a 2 mm bleed and 2 mm marks offset are greatly enough.
(2mm = 5/64" or 0,0787" or 5,66 pt. The defaut setting of offset in XPress is 6 pt)

• for jobs using more than one sheet, needing first to fold some sheets with 2 or 3 or 4 folds, second to collate and bind all the signatures together, and finally to cut 3 sides, there are generally more variations due to the relative imprecision of folding... so, these jobs need more bleed and more offset: the minimum is then 1/8" (about 3 mm) up to 1/5" (5 mm).

The short answer would be: if you are not sure of the needs of the printer, the safety is to have 5 mm bleed and 5 mm offset (1/5") to match with all situations.

But using:
- 1/8" (3 mm) for "one-sheet" jobs
and
- 1/5" (5 mm) for books and booklets, saddle-stitch or perfect-bound
is a better solution.

I have always been dumbfounded as to why 0.0833" is the default setting in many applications.
Before PDF workflow, the default settinf had no real importance, as the marks offset was the printer's job and was set by the printer himself during the film burning process from native files, and the printers knows the good value that he needs depending of the job...

... with PDF, some parts of the job previously done by the printer have now to be done by the designer, who are not fully aware of all the technical needs of printing...

... but obviously nobody by Adobe and Quark had the idea that this new situation could need a new default offset setting.

(ALL the PDF that I receive and that are made by professionnal designer have the 3 or 5 mm bleed, because the need of bleeds are fully "accepted" by designers: all good designers know that bleeds are essential for printers...
... but many of them do not exactly understand/know the exact use of bleeds, and for these reason they don't see the relationship between the bleeds and the mark offset... and ALL PDF that I receive have the 6 pt defaut mark offset!!!)

Last edited:
.125" is generally accepted. Me personally, I like .1875 so that I can keep the marks outside of the bleed area altogether. Always ask though.

Claude, I don't understand your 'method number 2' - it seems to be the same as number 1, and couldn't keep the exact trim size... I don't get it, could you explain it differently?

could you explain it differently?
I'll try...

The 2 first cuts on the crop marks depend of the position of the page in the printed sheet of paper.
The 2 last cuts make the size of the trimmed page.

If you have problem with the regularity of the border around, it can be because:
- the image setter has a calibration problem...
- or the size of the sheet of paper has changed during printing (too much water, recycled low quality paper)
- or the printing size has changed caused by a bad thickness of the packings on the plate cylinder (under the plate), not matching with the plate thickness...,

... at this step whatever the problem comes doesn't matter, the result is the same: the size of the printed page has become different than the theorical size of the page... for example, you have a 209 x 297 mm printed page instead of the theorical 210 x 297 A4 document.

For both methods :

1- you begin with the 2 first cuts on the crop marks

2- then the 2 last cuts at the theorical trimmed size of the doc (for example, 297 and 210 mm for an A4 document)

3- then you look at the result: going on with my example, 209 mm instead of 210 makes 1 mm difference between left and right side: one border has the correct size, the other is 1 mm too big

4- and then you make adjustments to have a regularity of the border around:

• first method: you keep the 2 first cuts, and you adjust by changing the 2 last cuts or one of the 2 last cuts that define the size... doing that, you modify the trimmed page size to make it match with the real printed page size... but, of course, the size of the trimmed page is not the theorical size: example, the theorical 210 x 297 mm document is trimmed at 209 x 297.

• second method: you keep the 2 last cuts (so you don't change the size), but you adjust the 2 first cuts (or only one) that are defined by the page position on the paper sheet: doing that, you can re-position the real printed page in the middle of the theorical page and keep the theorical size with correct equal borders...

...always going on with the same example, you share the 1 mm problem equally to the both sides:
- adding 0.5 mm to the first cut makes this cut being at 0.5 mm of the crop-marks outside of the page, and raises the border of 0.5 mm for this side,
- then the 210 mm (3rd or 4th) cut adds another 0.5 mm on the opposite side, and these 2 extra 0.5 mm added on each side of the page allow the 209 mm printed page to become a 210 mm trimmed page, with the 209 mm re-centered in the middle of the 210 mm trimmed page...

Last edited:
I use 12pt (.16667") for pretty much everything I send out. I have vendors who prefer more, like 20pt, but when I ask if I can just use 12pt, they never argue.

Since I don't always know who the job is going to when I am creating the final PDF, it helps for me to have one standard setting.

claude, thanks for the response. I'm going to give this to our guillotine op. for perusal.

My worst experience guillotining has been a job with a this border printed both sides - but not backed up accurately... very little one can do then to get all the borders the same!

Wish designers would realise that the inset on a page ought to be the same as the bleed. Thick saddlestitched anual reports with 3 mm border on the outer edge, wich they expect to be consistent ;p.
I try to remind students when I teach that pages are not the same size, not that they should be designing different size pages, but that they should be aware that a 32-page saddle stich is a problematic if there is millimeter precicion required at spine and at the trim edge.

Interested to know what would you consier normal, scale pages horizontally from 0 to say 0.5% so that all edges of the trim box match.
Move pages towards spine as they approach the centre (with exception of centrefold if it is a spread).
Move outer pages of the job away from spine (total format will be 1-2 mm larger than ordered)
Or is shingling and creep overworking things?

Wish designers would realise that the inset on a page ought to be the same as the bleed...

What would be even better is if software producers realized the same thing. How about it Adobe and Quark? It would be great to have a preference to automatically offset the crop marks by the bleed amount.

Shawn

For normal work, 1/8" bleed is an accepted standard, with the marks outside that area. Most printers will be adding there own marks in imposition.

We did a round saddle stitched book that was die cut with a high-die. The finisher requested 1/4" bleeds, but was able to hold much better than that through the job. This would be an exception, rather than the rule.

If consistency of the border is important, cutting smaller lifts and removing as much air from the lifts as possible will help, but any competent cutter already knows this.

Bret

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back