Xerox 240 vs KM 6500

kristianeyman

Hello all! I do not know much about the bizhub 6500, only that it's more akin to a true production machine. He is my dilemma, I have 6 240's spread through a couple of shops. I have learned how to tear them down and build them back up, so to say I am comfortable doing my own maintenance would be a good understanding. The problem that I am having is the drums, now about 2 years ago the drums chafed from a purple to green color and with that the quality was dumped overnight as well. I am currently getting about 5-7k (tabloids) from each drum, running mainly 250gsm or 12pt stock. So obviously my first thought was to upgrade to a beefier machine (dc6060) but it's a bit outdated and with it's own set of problems with the fuser module. Someone turned me onto the idea of the KM 6500 box. Now doing some research it seems like a true production box with drums that are suppose to last 200k and toner that goes for a far cry of that from "X". So I say unto you owners of the 6500, do you find that the 6500 is able to keep up with 1000-2000 12x18 walk up prints on thick stock and keep a good percentage of uptime? Are you able to perform most of the pm's and keep it running until a really bad situation comes along? Thanks for you time and help, as thus might be a very difficult decision.

Hi. I do not own DC240 nor KM 6500 but I think it it is KM c6501 that you want to consider - lots of bugs were worked out in it from C6500 it will drain your wallet for $2-3k in price different but save some headaches in future, plus it is never machine which is always a plus, make sure you get a RIP with it.

Yes the color is another big problem with these machines. Many customers print a proof and come back a week later on the same machine to find out the colors have shifted or changed...? Does the 6500 come with a spectrometer or color calibration tool like the 6060?

the machines i have come with embedded rips, no stand alone fiery or creo rips...

So that's probably a Fiery, if you check under "server, manage color" in CWS you will find the menu for calibrations and it's identical to a stand alone Fiery. I use the X-rite DTP32 I got with my DC2060 and its stand alone Fiery to calibrate my DC3535 with embedded Fiery and all from the same CWS. You just need the device, often on sale on ebay

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back