Xerox 800/1000

ShortRunMagazines

Does anyone currently have one of these and is putting a larger volume on it? (more than 200k/month)

We have two dc5000ap's that pretty much run till they break and are putting about 180,000 12x18 sides/month on each machine. Xerox wants to put us into a Xerox 1000 to replace the two (so 360,000/month from the get-go). We are averaging about 1 service call per 3 days per machine, so basically we are seeing a tech almost daily. We also go through a set of drums every couple of days per machine. 90% of the calls are fuser oil related so the oilless is quite attractive, but I don't like:
-being the first X800/1000 in the state
-going from 2 DC5000's to one machine that is twice as fast (no redundancy)
-hardware payment going up $600/month
-click charge going up 17%
-can't seem to get accurate info from Xerox
-->one engineering sheet says the thing draws 5.5kW and generates 18,700BTUs and another sheet says 6.08kW and 12,300BTUs (I didn't typo... More heat = less power in Xeroxland) The two engineering sheets I've seen seem to also show engine weight as being 400+ pounds different.

What I like on X1000:
-oilless fusing
-lower builds from the EA toner
-Xerox Productivity Plus (we do a lot of the maintenance)
-newest toy on the block
-one machine=less operator attention

That all being said, if it is stable, and truly press level reliability we are ready and willing to pay the extra money, but I am concerned about being a lab rat. Our work is very time-sensitive and being late can easily cost us 300-500 on a single project in additional shipping.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Last edited:
I'm really surprised about the increase in click charges! I think you're the second person who's mentioned this, however from everything Xerox are saying the EA toner costs less to produce and with productivity plus you should be doing more maintenance, saving them on engineer calls... really doesn't add up.

We also have a 5000ap and the issues you list are similar to our ones, plus inboard/outboard colour variance.

I agree with Josh, Our click charge is 40% less than what we have on our x2 8000's and as you said I have the same oil streak problems that have now gone with the 1000. The maintenance side is very simple cleaning corotrons and toner output stations but as far as I am aware really can't do too much else, this is supposed to be done daily. We only run around half of what you do and have had very little issues with it so far. (only been installed for a month or so)

• Operation: 12300 BTUs per hour, average
• Standby: 7936 BTUs per hour, average
Although we only have the basic setup

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back