Xerox FTR versant 80

chrisio

Hi.

So, due to the ongoing problems with xerox drums etc I am seriously looking at putting my v80 onto contract, and to that end xerox have offered me a sensible click rate on the condition that the machine goes through a FTR (field turn around). This will cost me £2750 +vat, does any one know what this money actually buy me. On pressing xerox all they say is that the machine is brought to a spec that they are happy to put on to contract.
When I bought it, it was just off lease and thus looked after by xerox and since I have had it anything that needed doing has been done. I would be a little bit annoyed that after paying all that money they just give it a quick vac out!.

Any insight would be welcome.

Thanks
Chris

This is standard. There are routine parts that wear out and should be replaced on a regular schedule, if you haven't been replacing those parts then Xerox will need to replace all those parts to bring each part into spec with their standard use life prior to putting it under contract.

You see, that's the worry. Everything that has worn or reached end of life has been replaced when expected. So am I giving xerox £3k for them to give it a once over and not replace anything! It's a tough choice to make. I understand the need for them to varify the state of the machine but it would be nice if it was on a sliding scale.

do you have new drums, toner ,feed rollers, BTR, transfer belt, cleaner housing, pressure roller and heather assembly installed in the last week?

do you have new drums, toner ,feed rollers, BTR, transfer belt, cleaner housing, pressure roller and heather assembly installed in the last week?
Hi.

Nope. They are all within spec. However if they they replace all of that then I would have no complaints at all. i guess I'm just looking for confirmation that they are actually do some thing for the money I am giving them.

I imagine there's an element of an 'insurance policy' in the field turn around charge (from X point of view)

I imagine there's an element of an 'insurance policy' in the field turn around charge (from X point of view)
I agree totally and from my point of view I see it as a "punishment charge 🤣 " for NOT taking the contract on the machine when I bought the blasted thing - I only saved about £1k on the purchase price and have spent WAY more than that on consumables, repairs & upkeep on the thing. Its all up in the air as they have also offered me a refurb unit that is fully kitted out along with a lower click charge as well so I need to weigh up all the options and not rush into anything.

Cheers
Chris

That’s the rub / why most people will opt for a service contract on a machine / not buy used Xerox machines. When I was a Xerox customer the service charge for time and materials was something like $700 for them to show up, $150 every 15 minutes, and cost of parts (which is exhorbitant). So for your fee I expect them to spend less than two hours and maybe throw in a couple parts, I doubt they will do a complete overhaul right away….

With the exception of a very few people (like 'JustaPrinter' Dan of YT fame, whose skillset and order book is fairly niche) I doubt, in the long run if anyone not running on click charge ever ends up better off. Especially when factoring in a sensible value for your own time.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back