Xerox V180: how to achieve maximum toner density?

donster

We are printing on Xerox transparent foil (Universal Transparency with paperbacking, 100 microns). What we need to achieve is the maximum possible density in the printed areas (so that no light or as little light as possible comes through that). We want to later use that as a film/mask to create a rubber stamps.

We have made quite a lot of tests and so far the best results are achieved with the following settings:
- obviously 0/0/0/100 is not dark enough, one would expect 100/100/100/100 to come out the darkest, but strangely best results were achieved with 100/100/0/100
- in job properties, we are using "colorwise off" and have checked "Use maximum printer density" (not really sure if that has any effect)
- printer screen mode: Enhanced text (is it worth trying out something else for this?)
- the paper is set to uncoated 210g (as Xerox recommends)
- we also created our own custom paper for this and tried playing with image transfer, but that didn't lead to better results
- what helped was this in custom paper settings: Primary Transfer Current Adjustment K to 200% (default is 100%)

What we achieved is not bad, but I wonder if it could be any better. Any ideas what else to try out?

Last edited:
Try 65/50/35/100, but my guess is you would be better trying 2 passes if it will hold register. Toner by nature tends to be more transparent than ink.

Try 65/50/35/100, but my guess is you would be better trying 2 passes if it will hold register. Toner by nature tends to be more transparent than ink.

My vote is 2 passes. We had a job with some clear window cling for gas stations and the first try the font wasn't showing up well. We ran it through twice and registration was spot on and density was much better. Be careful if you have colors in it, they won't turn out the same.

We thought about doing 2 passes, but since it's mask for rubber stamps, it usually contains very small text (5-6 points), so then even the slightest misalignment will be crucial....anyway, will for sure try it out.

Why do you think that 65/50/35/100 will come out better? Does it have some logical explanation? Because I am surprised that even 100/100/0/100 comes out better than 100/100/100/100

You're on the right track.
Create a Custom Paper Profile for that stock and either increase or decrease the "Adjust Transfer" Setting. You will also get more density on the second page where you can adjust the transfer of each color separate. I would also use a Film setting but depending on the electrostatic properties of your transparency (and that you have got packing paper) a coated setting may work just as good. Be interesting to find out how you go, keep us all posted. :)

Just tried 2 passes with "film" settings. After the first pass, the result was not as good as with the settings I described earlier, but after the second pass, the density is great. You literally can't see through the black areas - as it should be. But as expected, the small text becomes quite a lot less clear, because the alignment of two prints isnt 100% perfect. I was using the Tray5 from the high capacity container (I'm sorry, don't know the correct word for it). Maybe using some of the other trays would provide better alignment, maybe Tray6?

Take a look at this thread #3. If you haven't tried it yet you might want to try using this setting for textured stock to increase density.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back