Xerox Versant 280 Stop/Start Fan/Whirring Noise

scarrott

We've recently upgraded to a Versant 280. The machine has been great so far apart from one issue when it is not running. It constantly starts and stops what sounds like a fan inside. It whirrs for a second, then stops for 2 seconds, then whirrs for half a second, then stops, etc, etc. It's not quiet and it is the most irritating thing!

I'm sure in a non-stop production environment this wouldn't be an issue as the machine would be running pretty much all the time, but we are a smaller business and I sit right next to the machine. I've set it to go to sleep after 5mins, after which the noise stops, but it's still infuriating.

The people who sold us the machine told us this was normal and just what the machine does. It just seems odd to me though and I can't find any mention of it anywhere else on the internet. Does anyone else have this machine, and does it do the same for you?

I have a Versant 280 and it’s the fuser that you hear. The fuser needs to rotate the fuser belt so that it doesn't overheat in one area. It’s perfectly normal. The sooner it goes into sleep mode the sooner that the noise will stop. The fuser starts to cool down when in sleep mode and will stop rotating when the temperature goes down enough. The only problem with sleep mode is that the fuser will take longer to warm up before the next job can be run.

There's no fix for this because there's nothing wrong. Could you move your desk farther away so it's not as close?

Thanks for confirming that. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't specific to our machine. I only wish it was a constant noise rather than on off on off all the time!

Not really an option to move further away, but having the sleep on a short timer means it isn't too much of a problem.

Just go on YouTube and download a sound effect of someone yelling, save that as an .mp3 file, write a script that plays the person yelling every few seconds (such that it matches up with the sound of the whirring), and then plug in your speakers and synchronize the yelling/whirring together. Problem solved, you'll never hear the whirring again (as long as you leave your computer on).

Just go on YouTube and download a sound effect of someone yelling, save that as an .mp3 file, write a script that plays the person yelling every few seconds (such that it matches up with the sound of the whirring), and then plug in your speakers and synchronize the yelling/whirring together. Problem solved, you'll never hear the whirring again (as long as you leave your computer on).
Bonus - you can dance to the music at the same time!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back