Adobe PDF Print Engine - Benefits?

RandyD

Looked at a newer Xerox 560 with Adobe PDF Print Engine. I don't really understand or see the benefits compared to ripping PS3? What am I missing?

Basically it allows better processing of pdfs

eg rip without generally converts a pdf to postscript before ripping

PDF engine rips direct from the pdf

In a standard CPSI (PostScript) RIP, one has to print the PDF to a .ps stream/file. This can take a long time if one has to pre-flatten or flatten on the fly during printing. Once the more complex .ps data hits the RIP, it has to churn through the data to create the print rasters.

In an APPE RIP, the PDF can be left transparent, no flattening is required and additionally, it does not have to be printed to intermediate .ps data, the PDF can be RIPed as is.

Both need processing at the RIP to create rasters for output, however the colour, speed and quality of the APPE RIP should become apparent with more complex elements interacting with blend modes and or opacity, mixed colour managed elements and larger file size PDF files.

I will run a PDF through my Kodak Matchprint Inkjet RIP when I am back at work next week and give you some processing times for the two competing workflows.

http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfprintengine/

Best,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I brought PDF x1a files to the demo room at the resellers office so that's likely why I did not see any real difference or improvement in speed or quality? Perhaps the print was a bit sharper. Currently I print most of my work directly from InDesign CS4 to our Xerox DC240 with Bustled EFI Rip. When I print from InDesign I believe that all transparency effects are flattened in the print stream and then ps is spooled to the rip, right?

If we were to upgrade to the newer Xerox 560 with Fiery EX Print Server I'll assume that I would have to export files I want to print to a (???don't know level) of PDF that retain transparency, yes? Then would I have to import the PDF directly to CWS and handle all job parameters at the rip in order to take advantage of Adobe PDF PE? Seems like a long winded workflow to me, at least longer than printing from the Native file to the hold or print que?

I ripped the IDEAlliance G7 Form_v64 28x40.pdf through my ApogeeX workflow using both the PDF print engine and the CPSI (Postscript) print engine, time includes file preflight (about 15-20 secs)

PDF Print Engine: 5mins 6 seconds
CSPI: 5 mins 48 seconds

Last edited:
A quick test of RIP times using my Kodak Matchprint Inkjet RIP and a PDF File:

2.0 min = PDF to APPE Hotfolder

2.5 min = PDF to CPSI Hotfolder

6.0 min = PDF printed to .ps / .ps to CPSI Hotfolder

Best,

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back