Black Backing ISO 5-4 and ISO 13655.2

Stephen Marsh

Does anybody know what the L*a*b* values are for black backing according to ISO 5-4 and ISO 13655.2?

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Does anybody know what the L*a*b* values are for black backing according to ISO 5-4 and ISO 13655.2?

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

ISO 5-4: requires the following properties for black backing:
• spectrally non-selective, i.e., the total range of spectral diffuse reflection density throughout the wavelength interval form 400 nm to 700 nm shall not exceed 5 % of the average density obtained over the same interval;
• diffuse-reflecting [i.e., no perceptible specular reflection when viewed at any angle under typical office room illumination conditions] and;
• an ISO visual reflection density of 1,50 ± 0,2 [This is approximately equivalent to a CIELAB L* value range of 15 to 27 or a reflectance range of 2*% to 5*%].

best gordo

why use black backing since the iso icc using the white backing? i think this is a strange setting for iso .

White or self backing is commonly used in prepress when creating ICC profiles or making measurements.

Black backing is generally used at the press, particularly so if measuring double sided prints where white will amplify show through of the reverse print.

Specific to my question of where to purchase such material – not everybody prints on “white” paper, some print on clear substrates using white ink.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back