FM screening setup

How does the calibration procedure for FM screening differ from calibration procedure for AM?

It depends on your calibration procedure for AM.
Normally, it's the same basic procedure. Very briefly:
1) Have a target tonality (typically your existing AM work)
2) Run uncalibrated FM plates to target densities AM densities
3) Measure FM tonal response
4) Use FM tone response to build tone compensation curves that will be used when imaging plates
5) Run a confirmation form on press
6) If required, make adjustments to Y curve to restore gray balance.

best, gordon p
my print blog here: Quality In Print current topic: GCR reseparation for ink savings

We currently use digital procedures computer to plate etc... In the past we were supplied an FM/Quantum screen type of plates. This was a flawless process. Most apparent when printing vignettes, screened down to a 1% - 0 dot. However over time circumstances has it that we're unable get plates from this supplier.
Our CURRENT supplier still produces (what I'm told) digital plates however is not familiar with the FM/Quantum screening. PLEASE HELP...or is anyone out there know of a plate supplier in the Seattle area they can recommend me to call. THanks!

Last edited:
Our CURRENT supplier still produces (what I'm told) digital plates however is not familiar with the FM/Quantum screening.

"FM/Quantum" suggest Kodak Staccato FM screening output from a Kodak Quantum CTP device.
If no one on the forum knows of a CTP service bureau in the Seattle area, you may want to try contacting Kodak directly to get the name of their regional sales manager who should know if such a supplier is available.

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print - current topic GCR reseparation for ink savings

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back