InDesign CC 2017 lagging issue

Colorblind

Hi, we've updated to InDesign CC 2017 and since then, we've had numerous lagging issues when using the application. Platform is Mac OS Sierra, computers are 1 year-old iMacs with 8 Gb of RAM. Lagging (with Apple's beachball turning) occur intermittently, clicking menus, saving or just staring at the monitor doing nothing else! Was just wondering if anyone here experimented the same...

I have experienced the same thing, when you open the force quit window it will show InDesign to be not responding . . . but after a bit (go take a walk around the shop) it usually starts up again - I'm running an 3-4 year old Imac retina with 32 gigs of ram

This might be unrelated to InDesign. We get this sometimes when a connection to a server is having issues. If it's semi reproducible, try making the beach ball appear after you've unmounted all network and external drives, and disconnected the ethernet cable.

This might be unrelated to InDesign. We get this sometimes when a connection to a server is having issues. If it's semi reproducible, try making the beach ball appear after you've unmounted all network and external drives, and disconnected the ethernet cable.

We're having issues with the Mac using InDesign locking server files, requiring a reboot/shut down to unlock the files. We're upgrading to a 2017 iMac 5k shortly, hopefully this will resolve the issue (running 2013 iMac 21.5" currently).

I'm currently using a Mid 20111, 27" IMac with 20 gig or ram. Boss is thinking of upgrading to the Adobe Cloud some time in Feb/March. I am nervous, CS 6 is where we are now. I'm not sure my old iMac will handle the Cloud very well ... and I might not either.

We have experienced the same problem when we upgraded to CC2017. We solved it by installing more RAM 16GB from 8
2013 27" IMAC

We have several 2012 27" iMacs. We are on the Creative Cloud. We had MAJOR lagging issues. That all went away when I replaced our platter HDDs with SSDs. It is not an easy process as the iMacs are sealed, but absolutely worth it!

I have 20 gig of ram. For now, just going to sit with CS6, maybe January or February when it slows down a couple new Macs and then the CC.

I have 20 gig of ram. For now, just going to sit with CS6, maybe January or February when it slows down a couple new Macs and then the CC.

your 20 gigs of RAM is wasted on Indesign CS6, it can only use 4 gigs I believe. I noticed a huge difference in exporting large PDFs between CS6 and CC.

ColorBlind, I have several Late 2015 iMac's each with an SSD and 16GB of memory. Mine has Sierra while the production Mac's have El Capitan and I am not experiencing any lag issues. If doubling the memory to 16GB is an option (not sure which model of iMac you have), it might worth trying on one machine?

pd

I just picked up a 2011 27" iMac with the i5 core for a killer deal from a local place. We usually just use Mac mini's with 16gb ram for everything, although we do have a couple MacBook Pro's. Since this computer was going on my personal desk and for what I needed to do, it should work just fine. Ordered 16gb of Ram to be delivered and installed today to bump it up to 20gb of Ram. Should be enough to run it fast enough for all the programs. Although Im kind of a hold out and still using InDesign 2015. Probably should upgrade that this weekend....

We have several 2012 27" iMacs. We are on the Creative Cloud. We had MAJOR lagging issues. That all went away when I replaced our platter HDDs with SSDs. It is not an easy process as the iMacs are sealed, but absolutely worth it!

Here is another one of our late-2012 27" iMacs that I upgraded last weekend.
It literally went from about a 3 minute boot-up to a 5 second boot-up

Attachments

• photo6986.jpg
    photo6986.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 295
  • photo6987.jpg
    photo6987.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 272
  • photo6988.jpg
    photo6988.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 289
  • photo6989.jpg
    photo6989.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back