Introduce yourself!

Introduction

Introduction

Greetings, all. I'm the 'fixer of things' in this part of the Caribbean. The local print shop next door to my carpentry shop soon found out my talents, so now I'm the authorized repairman. Currently I'm battling with the old Challenge cutters, wonderfully scary antiques. I prefer the older machines, no fancy electronics, fairly easy to work on. I do get stuck sometimes, so you gotta love the internet for solutions!:D

Greetings, all. I'm the 'fixer of things' in this part of the Caribbean. The local print shop next door to my carpentry shop soon found out my talents, so now I'm the authorized repairman. Currently I'm battling with the old Challenge cutters, wonderfully scary antiques. I prefer the older machines, no fancy electronics, fairly easy to work on. I do get stuck sometimes, so you gotta love the internet for solutions!:D

Congratulations, you have been awarded the Best Introduction in Recent Times award!

Afterall, its friday!

Great info from everyone!

Great info from everyone!

Im Rodney,
Been doing the printing thing since the 80's yikes. Old stats/pasteup to the newer goodies of the day. I've been a production Manager in the Midwest for 2 companies over the last 12 years. I poke around this site and it usually leads where I need to be. If I can help, I will.
Love to fish, steel the remote from the wife of 25 years and have a few drinks with my 2 kids in college.
Rodney

Hello,

I'm a Xavi Fernandez, and I'm technical responsable from byprint.es and digital print production center located in Valencia (Spain).

We have 2 Xerox production presses (igen3 and igen4) and all the binder onsite. Also we work b2b web2print applications, and have a lot of experience in VDP marketing campaings.

Regards,

Hello I work for a medium pressure UV lamp manufacturer based in Great Britain.

We primarily sell to the printing industry, so I like to come and have a read to read about your problems and issues...

Feel free to hit me with UV/drying questions, although I am a salesman rather than a techie, I should still be able to get the answers!

Xavier

Re: Introduce yourself!

Hi
I'm Jennifer Aniston owner of a publishing agency which envolve in printing and graphics design for print in california.

Introduction

Introduction

Hey, everyone. I'm Ken, press operator at a small print shop in Charlotte, NC. Been in the business since '88, or so. Started in warehouse, drove deliveries, then wormed my way into the press room. Started fiddling with an old Little Giant letterpress that was covered in years of dust, then got my hands on some 360s, a 3200 Ryobi, and whatever other machine I could find in there. I haven't won the lottery, so I'm still running a press, and learning a little about digital print.

Against the Grain

Against the Grain

The second introduction I read on this forum kind of scared me, it said: I hate vendors.

Wow. Well, I am a vendor, and I sell paper. But I didn't join expecting to "sell" you paper, as we are strictly a local company. I have been a paper specification rep for almost 25 years in my hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan and believe in sharing helpful information. My job has been to educate designers and end users about paper and to help them choose the right paper for their print jobs. I thought it might be nice to answer a few questions here in this forum about paper, and get a general idea of what people are talking about in the industry. I like to know what topics would interest my local peeps for our blog. I already answered one paper question immediately after signing in!

Hi,
My name is Anthony, I work for Molnar Lithographic Supplies located in Mississauga,Ontario. There is tons of great infomation on here and i've learned a lot. I promise not to try to sell product on here, but I may ask opinion's on new products before we start selling them (if that's okay).
Thanks!

Welcome

Welcome

Welcome, Anthony. I think maybe as vendors we are in the minority here. But I hope since neither of us wants to sell product, they will let us participate!!! Listen and learn. :)

I hope so. As perviously mentioned, I have learned a lot here, hopefully I can ask for advise or assistance when needed. Though I have read several post where vendors have been trying to sell on these boards...So i do understand if some people are sceptical.

Hi,
W are a relatively new online printing company based in Australia. This is what we do-
Cheap Printing Services Australia offers a fast, secure and easy online printing service for all kinds of printed products such as business cards, flyers, catalogues etc. We offer the highest of quality printing at the lowest of prices.
check out our new website
www.cheap-printing-services.com.au
we have just had it updated and are really happy with it.

Hi! I am the owner of a small paper goods company in Central California. I joined this site in hopes to find a short run digital printer that is somewhat local to me. I am really interested in someone that is operating an HP Indigo. Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve Hall

Steve Hall

I'm an aging marketing designer. Every time I hear "pre-press", I think that it's before presses (I'm hoping that's printer humor).

I do marketing design work for professional firms and corporations. You can see my sites at efsmart.com and efsmartlaw.com.

In addition to Internet development, we also work with local and online printers and despite my lack of technical pre-press experience manage to get printed things to look like we want them. I sat through a daylong pre-press seminar in Orlando, only to discover during the last 5 minutes of the program that PDFx solves 90% of my problems. Thankfully Orlando is warm.

I design on a Mac and run CS5. CS5 is a pleasant program, but I should have stuck with CS4. None of my subcontractor production people have CS5, so it's a continuing pain the neck to ship usable files back and forth. Please don't offer me some multi-step crazy workaround for this; my memory is flagging and my patience with multi-step production solutions is limited.

I started my work life with a terrific national typesetter as a young staff artist skilled with 2-coat rubber cement and rapidographs. The end of this era was brought into focus when this highly experienced typesetter brought me into his office -- pointed to a Mac on his desk -- and said, "I'm screwed."

New Here!

New Here!

Hi,

I found this forum to have answered alot of my questions I had when I started my new position afew months ago, and finally got a chance to sign up.

My name is Tom and my background is IT, and found my self in this small print company. I'm currently the new PREP guy, don't have much knowledge about the print industry.

We have alot of equipment that was previously setup by the last IT/PREP guy so I'm coming into this blind. Alot of the systems don't work like they suppose to and I've been able to get by and get work done. I don't think its the correct way to do it and do run into alot of errors probably on my part outputting to plates.

So I'm hopping to learn more and have these systems setup correctly with the help of everyone on this forum!

Systems I have here...

Kodak Prinergy EVO, Kodak MatchPrint... Xerox Digital Presses...

Thanks!

-Tom

My name is Bob Rafferty. I worked at EFI/VUTEk for 10 years in the Customer Support Department and a Service Technician. I quit EFI/VUTEk about 3 years ago to start rehabbing homes. After quitting, I kept getting lots of calls from customers (on my personal cell) asking for help.

My brother Ryan Rafferty worked at EFI/VUTEk for 7 years before quitting.

We decided to start our own service company. We have now been in business for about a year and a half. We offer free phone support. We are happy to help out whenever we can.

We offer ink, parts and service.

Bob Rafferty
(603) 273-4148 - Office

New Member from Australia

New Member from Australia

Hi, my name is Trev Jost. I'm originally from Vancouver, B.C. but moved to Melbourne Australia in 2001. I've worked in the print industry since 1982, began in the camera room / bindery of a small print shop and in '86 started in a small prepress house which is now one of the largest in Vancover - Total Graphics / Lithotech. I started there as a stripper but quickly moved to scanning and was Colour Supervisor for 10 years. We ran Hell scanners - CP 345 / 380 and a DS drum scanner. I moved to Australia in 2001 and for a short time ran a Crossfield. I have since been working in a medium size prepress house mainly retouching and colour correcting as well as preparing the final Indesign files for press. We run Kodak Prinergy and Heidelberg Printready as our PDF workflows. Our clients include major book publishers here and in the UK, US and Canada. I am mostly interested in discussions on colour, conversion and retouching.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back